Used cPanel AddonDomain→FullAccount tool. Attachments/avatars error 404

Started by Isaac.Eiland-Hall, July 12, 2016, 11:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac.Eiland-Hall

So I used the new cPanel tool that converts an add-on domain to a full account. After doing so, my attachments and avatars are all coming up as error 404.

I did edit what I found to edit in Settings.php and SMF admin (edited the path from /home/olduser/_forum/[folder] to /home/newuser/public_html/[folder]; edited the database from olduser_databasename to newuser_databasename.

The forum basically works - except avatars and attachments.

Also, where are the attachments/avatars actually stored? I don't see them in the old folder or the new folder (avatars or attachments).  And I noticed SMF links not directly to files, but passthrough php to get the file... Maybe I've missed the documentation that explains this, but I haven't found it. :(

Many thanks for any help.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

only the core details are stored in Settings.php  -- the rest of the paths and urls are stored in the database, hence the need to use repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

LiroyvH

Mind you, that feature is still somewhat experimental in cPanel 58; its a release candidate feature, but not declared 100% stable yet. Use with care. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Isaac.Eiland-Hall

Thank you for the help. I have used repair_settings.php — some values were right, and others were wrong. All values are now correct as displayed in that file.

What's next to check?

Isaac.Eiland-Hall

To reiterate, my problem is still not solved. I have used repair_settings.php and my attachments and avatars are all still gone.

I don't have an understanding of how attachments/avatars really *work*. I'm not a php hotshot, but I have written a [terrible] ecommerce website (by myself; reading SMF's code is not easy to me). I might be able to understand how to fix it myself if someone can point me down the right path.

Kindred

Well, are your directories still in the same place and accessible under the new domain?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Isaac.Eiland-Hall

I noted the path changes in my first post.

Basically, the old path was /home/olduser/_forum/ and the new path is /home/newuser/public_html/

The cPanel tool copies all files from /home/olduser/_forum to home/newuser/public_html — from the public root of the subdomain to the public root of the new domain (which is still the same subdomain, but is now a whole account in cPanel).

So yes, the files got moved. :)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Isaac.Eiland-Hall

Yes. Again. As I stated previously.

In this case, I stated that here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=547300.msg3882929#msg3882929

I appreciate the attempt to help and think, but I have stated that I've done that. :)

Kindred

You stated that you did it, but the fact that it still does not work indicates that you did not actually accomplish it
Слaва
Украинi

Isaac.Eiland-Hall

And yet, when I load the repair php, everything there shows as correct, which was not the case before I ran it the first time.

I can appreciate that it must sound like I'm very stupid, but I assure you I am not. Although it is not proof that I haven't done something stupid here, because that's always possible; I am a web host by trade; I have held several technical positions previously in my life including for Microsoft and Texas Instruments.

I may well have done something stupid here, but I am not, generally speaking, a complete idiot. (And again, I may well have done something wrong).

I have verified that each and every single entry on the repair php page is correct. Directory entries are all /home/username/public_html/directoryentryasappropriate. URLs are all forum.domain.com/directory [nofollow] or /Directory. I have checked for uppercase/lowercase. They also happen to all match the recommended values.

I have verified that the avatars/attachment directories exist on the server, and appear to match the contents of the previous location on the server. Permissions appear to be set appropriately.

We have used SMF to host our forum for well over a decade, and while I am not an SMF expert by any means, we are an all-volunteer community for an open source game; so I understand the concept of volunteers trying to help me. I value your time. I understand that a lot of people seeking help in fixing a problem don't take the time to google to try and fix things; don't actually do what they say they have done, but I have done what I have said I have done to the best of my ability, and now I have a forum that has no attachments and no avatars and no real hope (at the moment) of being fixed, and I'm now being told that I haven't done what I've said I've done. At least, that's what I'm getting out of this.

I am not a small child. I am most certainly not infallible; I can certainly have made mistakes. I don't mind checking and rechecking if, by golly, the symptoms just strongly point to me having screwed something up. But I can assure you unequivocally that I have checked the repair php settings to the best of my ability, and I am highly confident that I have used the tool correctly at this time.

So either there's something else, something I've missed, something I'm just stupid about, or something I don't know.

Dav999

Perhaps the attachments and avatars were copied/moved as ASCII instead of as binary files via FTP. Do you still have access to the original files, or a backup?

Grammy

Quote from: Dav999 on July 23, 2016, 07:15:02 AM
Perhaps the attachments and avatars were copied/moved as ASCII instead of as binary files via FTP. Do you still have access to the original files, or a backup?

That is what I was going to suggest before I turned in last night, but I thought I should stay out of it and let smarter people than I weigh in.   :)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=547036.msg3880889#msg3880889

Advertisement: