Editor issues, Smileys not working

Started by manu3d, July 16, 2016, 05:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manu3d

Greetings!

I'm having some issues with the WYSIWYG editor. :(  I'm using SMF 2.0.11.

First of all it seems to insert two empty lines for every new line character I add by pressing Enter. In the editor itself this is not visible, but it is visible in the preview and in the message once it's posted. Interestingly, once posted I can modify the message and permanently remove the extra lines.

Secondly, in semi-random circumstances, formatting is added to the message seemingly without reason nor visual feedback about it. I will preview the message and entire paragraphs or few words in a row might be rendered in a super-small font. I wrote "semi-random" circumstances because this actually seems to happen when I change font size or font color to some parts of the text or when I start doing things such as cut&paste.

Finally, I seem to be having issues with the smiley. They work perfectly in the editor and in preview. But when I post the message in place of the smiley there is a broken image icon and the ascii smiley within a small frame. If i right-click on the broken image icon and choose "Open Image in a New Tab" the address is correct but the main page of the forum is displayed instead.

Any idea on how to debug these issues?

Kind regards, Manu

Kindred

mods installed?
url demonstrating the issue?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

manu3d

Hi Kindred, thank you for your interest.

The forum is private and I can't give public access to it. I could give temporary access in private though. Mods: four from SMFPacks: Facepunch Pro Mod, Alert Pro, Mentions, Shoutbox Pro - nothing else. And I'm using the default theme.

oOo--STAR--oOo

No disrespect but I am being perfectly honest here, the WYSIWYG editor is terrible. I am currently in the process of designing a new forum and this is one of the things I thought SMF might of sorted out by now... Unfortunately its been the same for over 7 years! Bugs in the editor are, when you modify a message and do a new line then insert a table, the table bbc tags go in backwards! In fact ALL bbc goes backwards, if you are not highlighting your text first before inputting the tags. EG [ /td ] [ /tr ] [ /table ][ table ] [ tr ] [ td ][ /code ] [ code ]. This is present on the old modded and brand new forum with zero mods.

There is no preview of tables, no way to add rows without typing in the code manually. its just not up to speed with today and a lil buggy. Sometimes extra closing tags get added to the end of the post.
I'm going to have to integrate or even think about making my own editor as its really bad at the moment and not that user friendly.

One thing I hated about making posts on forums was formatting them to look nice, adding headers and colours and some nice lists and tables for nice layouts, but having to type all the bbc tags manually really does make up the time it takes to create a nice post. Having a really easy to use editor speeds up the process and aids people who are not very savvy on forums to post custom layouts 2.

I'll have to investigate what is available and time is essence right now :(
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Kindred

We know... that is why the wysiwyg has been replaced in 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

manu3d

Kindred, I read that 2.1 is still in beta.

Is the new wysiwyg editor available separately, as a package for a 2.0.x installation? Or is 2.1 beta 2 stable enough that I should use that directly?

Arantor

It's not available separately, the one time it was tried, it made an utter mess of things.

2.1 beta 2 is not designed for people who aren't completely comfortable with betas - things break, things are broken (and beta 3, not yet released, fixes most of the things needed fixing in beta 2)

However, the issues aljo is referring to are not the same as the OPs, and it's funny that I've literally never encountered the issues he's referring to on a fresh installation - and I spent many hours trying to fix it over the years. The other reality of forums is that people don't actually do particularly 'nice' formatted posts in practice, it's a very select group of forums that do, so the issue is actually smaller than it might seem.

manu3d

By the way, I forgot to mention that if I load the smiley url given by the broken image icon (which points to an existing image file), I get the forum's homepage. I'm now suspecting that particular issue might be due to an htaccess rule even though it puzzle me why the editor and the preview don't have that problem. =P

Also, thank you Arantor for your post. I'd be perfectly comfortable with a beta but my users wouldn't. So, I need to keep things sort of properly working. On the issue of users actually using the formatting features, you are right that most users won't. But I suspect some, and potentially everybody at some point in time, could take advantage of them.

Meanwhile i've also noticed that alt+s and alt+p don't seem to work but seem to trigger BB codes within the text that are only visible on preview. Very puzzling so far.

oOo--STAR--oOo

I have converted the SCEditor they are using for 2.1 to work for 2.0.11.. And trust me, it is miles better than the old WYSIWYG editor. I am in the process of polishing it off and adding more buttons and styles. Also ensuring mobile compatibility :D.

Quote from: Arantor on July 17, 2016, 05:49:00 PM
It's not available separately, the one time it was tried, it made an utter mess of things.

2.1 beta 2 is not designed for people who aren't completely comfortable with betas - things break, things are broken (and beta 3, not yet released, fixes most of the things needed fixing in beta 2)

However, the issues aljo is referring to are not the same as the OPs, and it's funny that I've literally never encountered the issues he's referring to on a fresh installation - and I spent many hours trying to fix it over the years. The other reality of forums is that people don't actually do particularly 'nice' formatted posts in practice, it's a very select group of forums that do, so the issue is actually smaller than it might seem.

Its obvious you don't make many posts using the WYIWYG Editor because the bugs I mentioned are present in a fresh installation, they are present in this forum.
If something is broken, its broken just admit it and stop being so defensive! SMF needs to learn how to deal with people better! Go ahead and do what I said doesn't work and you will see for yourself!

Its not the first time you have tried to call me up on something.

In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Kindred

regardless of whether its broken or not, the 2.0 wysiwyg is not ever going to get updated....

and fyi, someone else already ported the SCEditor into 2.0.x
Слaва
Украинi

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: Kindred on July 19, 2016, 07:07:50 PM
regardless of whether its broken or not, the 2.0 wysiwyg is not ever going to get updated....

and fyi, someone else already ported the SCEditor into 2.0.x

That's cool, I did have a loot at that but didn't exactly like how it was implemented so I ensured I got it written with clean code and where inserting quotes actually works, while parsing BBC content (quotes pictures smileys) You know the one! Guess you don't need more mods from me then :D

In Design Phase!

manu3d

So, getting back on the focus of the discussion, would installing SCEditor in 2.0.x solve the problems I mentioned initially?

Kindred

aljo1985,

I didn't say that you shouldn't do it...  I just said that you should be aware.

manu3d,

since I have never actually seen those errors happen in the existing WYSIWYG, I can't answer that.
There are known bugs with it -- but what you reported is actually not in the list.
Слaва
Украинi

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: manu3d on July 20, 2016, 03:39:02 AM
So, getting back on the focus of the discussion, would installing SCEditor in 2.0.x solve the problems I mentioned initially?

You can try the current mod in the mod section, but I don't know if it works correctly but you can get support in that section for the mod.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=496688.0

That being said, there is no guarantee it would solve your issue. Once I have finished my SCEditor, I may make it into a mod.. Its almost finished but I am going on vacation tomorrow so I won't be around for a short while

In Design Phase!

Grammy

Quote from: ircsiinci on September 02, 2016, 01:24:53 PM
Hi!
I need help.
The pictures do not show the smiley posts by nor message boards, instead of just the code.
The routes are good.

Have a nice day!

Is the Oops smiley because you realize you should have started your own thread, instead of posting on someone else's?   :)

(P.S. ....  I like your avatar.) 

ircsiinci

Excuse me, already I start a new topic.  :-[
........ Because she said it is better to give than to receive.

Grammy

Quote from: ircsiinci on September 02, 2016, 01:30:40 PM
Excuse me, already I start a new topic.  :-[

I'm sorry; I didn't mean to scold you.     :)

ircsiinci

........ Because she said it is better to give than to receive.

Advertisement: