News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF with CloudFlare ?

Started by ashwani019, July 17, 2016, 02:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashwani019

SMF is already loading very fast compared to other forums as I experienced but do not know how it performs from different-2 region all around the world.
If we install CoudFlare as a proxy server on SMF forum will it work? Did anybody try it?

If no, then how we can optimize performance? any caching MOD available?

Regards,
Ankit

Arantor

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Performance_enhancements

We've not had that many good experiences with CF owing to the fact that it is designed to proxy SMF and SMF is mostly dynamic content (as opposed to CF being adapted to proxy/cache static content)

青山 素子

Since you said it's performing different between two areas, it sounds to me like it's possibly a slow route issue or maybe something network-related.

How fast does a static page load between the regions? That should give you a quick handle on if it's a bad/slow route.

Another possibility is that DNS lookups are slow for one region. SMF does reverse-IP DNS lookups for connections to log the data. In most cases, it's a very quick operation. In a very few instances, a badly-configured DNS server can cause some serious delays for this operation. You could try turning off lookups in SMF to avoid this operation if the static page test shows no speed issues in that way.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

oOo--STAR--oOo

I use cloudflare with SMF and have zero problems at all.

I am very advanced in linux so setting up server environments and configuring DNS, external main etc, cloudflare is a must have in my opinion, but it isn't a fool proof solution. You have to configure your webserver to optimise cloudflare better.

You can click the link below to see how well cloudflare is performing, I am constantly in development mode as I am editing the source but I won't be around this week so you'll see how fast it works :D.

I have never had a problem with CloudFlare and I have been using it for 5+ years. Every website I make is now protected by CF.
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

青山 素子

Quote from: aljo1985 on July 21, 2016, 04:49:53 AM
I have never had a problem with CloudFlare and I have been using it for 5+ years.

I don't think the comment is that CF doesn't work, but rather that it's not going to help a lot with performance because SMF pages are completely dynamic and thus it can't cache a lot beyond theme images. There are other benefits to CF, but that's not what the original poster is concerned with right at this time.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Arantor

The number of people who've had CF issues suggests it is problematic.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Quote from: 青山 素子 on July 21, 2016, 12:26:21 PM
Quote from: aljo1985 on July 21, 2016, 04:49:53 AM
I have never had a problem with CloudFlare and I have been using it for 5+ years.

I don't think the comment is that CF doesn't work, but rather that it's not going to help a lot with performance because SMF pages are completely dynamic and thus it can't cache a lot beyond theme images. There are other benefits to CF, but that's not what the original poster is concerned with right at this time.

I would say that it does help with performance... It takes away the need to use your own DNS. Just set your registrar information to cloudflares and save your self some ram from bind. It also helps reduce bots, compresses css and js files for you. There are loads of configurable options for you to have a look at and trial with. I would say performance wise its pretty good. It will actually help. There are some settings you can use to your advantage for performance. Cloudflare is worth a try trust me. If you don't like it, just revert back to your original.
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

KnownSyntax

Yes you can use it as a proxy server, or you can use it as a cache server as well. It will improve performance aspects in terms of serving cache content faster (as like stated above it will minimize CSS, JS, and some other files depending on how often it is used). I've used SMF before with CloudFlare and had no real issues minus some JS ones, and also the ever so common IP issue that can be easily fixed.

Advertisement: