News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can i install a new clear SMF 2x and upload my old data successfully?

Started by chipset, July 17, 2016, 02:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipset

I use a server with php7 and php5 by Docker. I have a SMF 1.1.21
I can't update to 2x by large update, i have a lot of errors.

Can i use some import/export or other tool to make my old base to working with 2x SMF?

Arantor

No, there is no conversion process outside of the upgrader.

What errors do you get?

Illori

Arantor

d3vcho

"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Arantor

Which is why I want to know what errors the OP gets, because I really rather not waste time in speculation when I can give you an actual answer based on what the symptoms are.

It's like going to a doctor and saying 'I'm ill', both you and the doctor can see there's a problem but they're not going to just guess what's wrong, they're going to get the symptoms. In this case, what errors there are.

chipset

Hello,
the first one - two errors I handled, but the next is fatal "unknown error". My php5 is from Docker and i can't track it. May be something is missing... I trying with SMF 2.0 and 2.1

If i can to transfer my old base to a new install, it will be fine.

Kindred

Quote from: Arantor on July 17, 2016, 02:55:01 PM
What errors do you get?

What is the FULL, ACTUAL error?

and what other errors did "you handle"?

Don't try with 2.1 - 2.1 is currently in BETA... 
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

chipset

So... finally it be obtained :).

I succeeded  upgrade it to 2.0. Everything seemed normal and I made the following experiment:
Export the base, make a new installation of SMF and import the old base to it.
Still testing, but everything seems fine. So, i lose my old themes, but ignoring all modifications made by me past years.

Kindred

well, I am glad that it worked, but you made much more work for yourself...  and you still need to run upgrade.php - because the database has changed between 1.1.x and 2.0.x
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

chipset

Quote from: Kindred on July 23, 2016, 09:10:38 AM
well, I am glad that it worked, but you made much more work for yourself...  and you still need to run upgrade.php - because the database has changed between 1.1.x and 2.0.x
No need to run upgrade.php, I exporting the database after installing 2.0

Summary:
Whether can install the new version of SMF and then upload the old base from 1.x - Can not, but if you want to install clear 2.x, may do this...

0. Backup the base and all files!
1. Upgrade from 1.x to 2.x with SMF stock tools.
2. Export the base somehere.
3. Backup all files.
4. If you do not want to revise paths in the base, delete all files and upload the new to the same path.
5. Install clear SMF to same place.
6. Import the base.

This work for me.

Advertisement: