Can I uninstall previous updates if I have the most recent one?

Started by ouird, July 22, 2016, 09:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouird

Im a total newb to all of this stuff and I really dont know what questions to ask to solve the problems I'm experiencing.
I took over this forum a while back and have been struggling for a long time with no success, so I'm very sorry if these questions are redundant.  I tried to use the online manual, but Im obviously failing lol.
Im finding that my forum is timing out a lot and very slow.
Im trying to find ways to avoid this from happening
Can the old updates be removed as long as I have the most recent update?

Illori

no you should never uninstall a patch. if you do you would not have the fixes on your system that the patch provided, you could get hacked as a result.

ouird

Thank you.  Back to the drawing board then.
No idea why my forum is almost at a standstill and times out...

br360

You can try contacting your host to see if there are any server side errors or processes running that are consuming too many resources.

ouird

That was my first thought. I reached out to them, and they are saying that there's no issues on their end. (Site5)
I do have some aged files that need updating, but this is where Im struggling because I dont know where to locate some of the files that I need, and when I try to update others, I keep getting errors.

br360

The aged files you are talking about aren't really aged. I think there was an issue with one of the patches not updating the version number and the number just needs to be manually edited. take a look at this link for more info- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=528540.0

If your site is timing out or way too slow, it should really be dealt with via your host. If they can't find the issue or aren't able to help, you might consider finding another host

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: