News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

When to merge topics

Started by Siirist, July 23, 2016, 09:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hi,

I am posting here because the forum is functioning normally.

I have a bad habit of creating way too many boards.   ::)

That said, I have a slight concern about if I should merge a few topics.

See the screenshot and you will see that there are 3 topics that are related, but not the same.

What are your thoughts on this situation?

Thank you for your help with this.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Siirist

Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Irisado

It's a moderation decision based on the rules of your forum regarding duplicate/cross posted/similar topics, so it really is up to you :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Siirist

Thanks for your reply Irisado,

Okay, I can run with that.

Not sure what it is going to look like when it is done.

Can a Merge be un-done (Split Topic), or should I use my test forum, make some posts and then merge them?

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

Irisado

You can split topics after they have been merged.  Just be aware that if other posts are made in merged topic, but you wanted to keep the original posts only, you would have to select the posts to split from the merged topic.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Siirist

Quote from: Irisado on July 24, 2016, 10:49:52 AM
You can split topics after they have been merged.  Just be aware that if other posts are made in merged topic, but you wanted to keep the original posts only, you would have to select the posts to split from the merged topic.

Thank you for that useful information as well Irisado.   :)
Needed information:

br360

In my personal opinion, if you have a relatively new board with not a lot of content yet, it's good to try to have as many topics as possible. If the topics are similar yet not identical, I would personally not split them.

Siirist

*nods and smiles*

I am slowly building it.

158 topics
192 posts

It keeps me busy.   ;D

Siirist
Needed information:

Advertisement: