Unable to view Memebers as an Admin

Started by ouird, July 23, 2016, 09:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouird

I updated a few things yesterday shown in these 2 posts:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=547488.msg3884063#msg3884063
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=547488.msg3884049#msg3884049

I also updated my AdSellerPro to the newest version.

Im now unable to vew member profiles (mine included)
Ive attempted from a few different browsers and from a few different pages (Admin section, Main Forum, Member list)

Is there something else I can do/look at to enable this feature again? 

You guys have been a fantastic help to me.  In the last little while I've learned a lot and I totally appreciate it.

Illori

what happens when you try to view the members? some details and maybe we can help you.

ouird

It'll take me to the URL, but its a blank screen:

Illori

anything in your server error log related to that URL?

Kindred

sounds to me as if you have a poorly installed mod in profile.template.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

A few words of advice about mods (I run near 100 of them) :

1. * always have a test system that you run repair_settings.php on every time you refresh it (i refresh (from live) all the files in the Apache Web directory where SMF lives and all directories beneath it with rsync +plus I also rsync a database unload that I reload at the the same time - this also undoes any dodgy mod that you just installed).

2. install the mod and then try to uninstall it before reinstalling it so that you know you can back it out properly (on your test system), if you decide to then install it on your live site.

All my few but show-stopping headaches were caused by mods as SMF vanilla is rock solid, in my experience.

Good luck and by building a test system you get to understand SMF better ... ignore this if you already have one.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

ouird

Im now proper effed.
I uninstalled the last mod i updated now my site wont respond.
I dont know how to fix this.

Kindred

1- ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take a backup (files AND database) before installing or uninstalling mods. That way, if something get screwed up, you can restore.

2- if there is an error marked for installing or uninstalling a mod, don't just continue and assume everything is alright. There is a reason that something was marked as an error... you either should not install (or uninstall) the mod, or you need to manually apply the code changes that failed the automatic tests.

3- do what Illori said...   that will reset your DISPLAY to the default (no mods) and you will have to reapply mods (more carefully this time)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ouird

Im not saying what I did was smart in any way.
I admittedly dont know a lot about this, and Im learning as I go here. 
I wish I had this info before I started.

No one is more frustrated than I am at this very moment.

Kindred

Quote from: Illori on July 25, 2016, 09:07:26 AM
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files should be able to help you.
Quote from: Kindred on July 25, 2016, 09:58:54 AM
3- do what Illori said...   that will reset your DISPLAY to the default (no mods) and you will have to reapply mods (more carefully this time)
Слaва
Украинi

ouird

Thank you for the help.
I got my forum back up and running.
I still have to work on the Profile problem, but this time much more carefully.
I have identified the error (sort of) Im going to see if I can get some web development help to get me through this.

Advertisement: