News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Members Stars

Started by petewadey, July 23, 2016, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petewadey

Hi, I used to have stars under users names, awarded for number of posts. Since changing from Core to Curve  these no long appear. Is this because it was a feature of Core and not Curve, or can I just not find the settings?
Thanks.
Pete

Grammy

There's a setting based on posts in Admin-->Members-->Membergroups.  Have you checked those settings? The number of posts required can be modified.  :)

Illori

i believe the images need to be in the themes images folder for each theme. are the images in the default themes images folder?

Kindred

The default "stars" are "blocks" in Curve (like on this forum)....  you can change them by replacing the image files.
If you had custom stars, then you would need to copy those files int the default/images folder
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

petewadey

Thanks. I've found the settings, now just need to make them stars :-)

petewadey

Maybe this should be a new thread? Now I find my logo isn't working as it did in Core. Any tips for re installing that? Thanks

Grammy

Quote from: petewadey on July 23, 2016, 01:11:06 PM
Maybe this should be a new thread? Now I find my logo isn't working as it did in Core. Any tips for re installing that? Thanks

What link do you have in Admin---->  Current Theme--->  Logo Image URL?

When I try to look at your image in another tab, I get this:

403 Forbidden

Server configuration does not allow access to this page.

(Looking at your site URL, that you posted in your last support thread.)

EDIT:  After a few minutes of that, it has changed to a blank page (instead of the 403 error).....   Okay, the error is back.

Mstcool

Quote from: Grammy on July 23, 2016, 01:55:26 PM

403 Forbidden

EDIT:  After a few minutes of that, it has changed to a blank page (instead of the 403 error).....   Okay, the error is back.

If this is what happens when image is clicked, then image will not show on forum. A valid url to the image will be needed in order for the image to show up as a logo.

Grammy

Quote from: Mstcool on July 23, 2016, 11:37:43 PM
Quote from: Grammy on July 23, 2016, 01:55:26 PM

403 Forbidden

If this is what happens when image is clicked, then image will not show on forum. A valid url to the image will be needed in order for the image to show up as a logo.

Right, that's what I was getting at.   :)

I think Pete's in the UK, so he probably went to bed not long after his last post.  I doubt he's read any of this.  His stars do show up, so, if it were me, I'd locate my logo in my theme's images folder. 

petewadey

Thanks lads. Now have my logo. I even worked out how to resize it :-)
Next thing is to replace the donate button with a proper paypal donate style button. Any hints?
Cheers,
Pete

Kindred

now that you are using Curve, you can use CSS as I suggested in the first thread. :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

petewadey

Ideally I would like a paypal donate button, like you see on other sites, to replace my donate button and maybe plac it at the end of the line of buttons...........Or even replace the SMF logo in the top right?
Would that involve  lot of script?

petewadey

Ok. I've been on the paypal site, created a donate button and got the code. Now I just need to decide where I want to place it and work out where to paste the code. I'm getting there :-)

Grammy

Ideally, in the same main_menu div with your other tabs would look best, but I think it would also look good in the top right of your header, where you have the "Please support this site" message.  Still...   if you wanted, you could place it just below the menu, by putting it just after this in index.template.php:

// Show the menu here, according to the menu sub template.
template_menu();

echo '

That location might be less problematic.  (That's an echo, so you'd want to watch out for any double quotes in your paypal form code and backslash them.)   :)

Always save a backup copy of any file you edit so that if you need to, you can simply put your original back.  (It's easy to throw a template parse error when working inside an echo and getting a white page.) 

petewadey

Thanks, I'll put it where you suggest, but first I am doing a backup. I'll take a walk along the beach and brave it when I come back. Thanks

Grammy

Quote from: petewadey on July 24, 2016, 07:27:15 AM
Thanks, I'll put it where you suggest, but first I am doing a backup. I'll take a walk along the beach and brave it when I come back. Thanks

Ha!  I'm attaching a screenshot of one I just stuck on one of my test sites by putting it in the third location, under the menu bar.  Of course, it's a View Cart button instead of a PayPal button and it's not a clear png, which would look better, but you get the idea.  I actually didn't do anything but paste the PayPal code beginning and ending with <form> and </form>.  I didn't even have to backslash.   ;)

Enjoy your walk!

petewadey

Yes, that looks good. My code starts and ends like yours so should be ok. I'm a bit concerned that it says business account on the code, when mine is private, but that my problem.

Grammy

Quote from: petewadey on July 24, 2016, 07:38:06 AM
Yes, that looks good. My code starts and ends like yours so should be ok. I'm a bit concerned that it says business account on the code, when mine is private, but that my problem.

You may want to log back into PayPal and generate a new button, if you feel the info associated with it is in error.  (But, if I remember correctly, I think, in order to have a Donate button with PayPal, you would have had to upgrade to Business.) You have to jump through a few hoops to be allowed to take donations, I think.  I don't personally use their buttons but I build sites for a few clients who do and I think all their donation buttons are associated with "business".

petewadey

My existing donate button works ok. I'll see if I can source the script and see what that says.

Grammy

Quote from: petewadey on July 24, 2016, 07:54:42 AM
My existing donate button works ok. I'll see if I can source the script and see what that says.

I'm one of those "hey, if it works, it works" people.   :)

Remember, your <form></form> code will go right after this in your index.template.php:
// Show the menu here, according to the menu sub template.
template_menu();

echo '

(Mind the apostrophe, after echo.)  If it goes as mine did, that's all there is to it; just pasting it there, saving and uploading.  Good luck with it!

Advertisement: