News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Read-only access to selected boards for regular members except few

Started by ForumTester1393, July 27, 2016, 09:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumTester1393

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been discussed (Please link to thread if it has been discussed).

I am trying to create a board with read-only access for regular members but read/create topics/reply to topics access for member of another membergroup.

Please help.

Siirist

Hi Illori,   :)

I looked into this and noticed an anomaly (which is underlined, bolded, and commented) in the Online Manual - Permission profiles - an overview .

QuoteSMF 2.0 uses a system of permission profiles which can be created and edited at Admin > Permissions > Edit Profiles. You can then assign a permission profile to a board when you edit the board. You can use a permission profile on multiple boards.

There are some pre-defined profiles available on this page: No Polls, Reply Only, and Read Only. These cannot be modified.

One permission profile which administrators often like to create is one which limits which boards new members can post in until they have made their first post. The following steps give an example of how to create such a permission profile:

A board needs to be created or an existing one can be used.

Remove all posting and reply permissions from the "Regular members" group.

Enable permissions for post count based groups (Admin > Members > Permissions > Settings > Enable permissions for post count based groups).

Set up at least two post-count based groups, one for members with zero posts and another for members with one or more posts.

In the post count based group for members with one or more posts, assign permissions to this group to allow posting and replies. In the zero post count group, do not allow posting and replies.
As such, the zero post count group will never be able to become a one or more post count group. Very self-defeating the purpose of setting the permission.

Thought someone should know so that it can be reworded to:
QuoteIn the post count based group for members with two or more posts, assign permissions to this group to allow posting and replies. In the one post count group, do not allow posting and replies.

Or something to that effect.

Or is this a "On that board only" type of "adjustment of permissions?
If so, a caution should be added about the "Deny" because that will carry through the entire forum.

Just my thoughts.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Arantor

Since permission profiles are either everywhere or set on specific boards, one would assume the intention would be to apply it to a set profile and only set that profit on that board... Or however many boards.

ForumTester1393

Thanks everyone.

I think I found a way to do it as I was trying out a couple of things on the admin dash board. It worked!

Advertisement: