Installing on Windows IIS with a virtual directory

Started by donebner, July 27, 2016, 05:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donebner

Anything I need to know about installing on a Windows Server with IIS using virtual directories?  To further complicate things a little, I'm using dynamic dns and therefore would set up as hxxp:example.ddns.net/virtualdirectory [nonactive]

Thanks in advance for any ideas or watch out  fors!

Don Ebner

青山 素子

I can't think of anything too complex. As long as the name is the same, you should be okay. If you're using a low-end (or home) router that doesn't do NAT reflection, you'll need to edit the hosts file of any internal system to access the site by name. This isn't an IIS-specific issue.

You may have some issues with modification installs and permissions. If you plan on using the feature, make sure to set the IUSR account to have full control permissions on your forum files. You'll also probably need to configure e-mail sending to use SMTP rather than the PHP mail function. Contact your hosting provider for the settings to use (or sign up with a mailing service like SparkPost or MailGun).

Additionally, I'd recommend using the PHP install from the Web Platform installer and not try to install PHP manually. The Web Platform installer sets up PHP properly for modern IIS using FastCGI rather than as an ISAPI module (which can be problematic).
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

donebner

I really appreciate your advice. I will use the PHP installer.  I do think my router will NAT reflect, if not I should be able to figure that out.  This should get me going. Don Ebner

Advertisement: