Help! Cannot recover old phpmyadmin sql dump

Started by w5det, July 28, 2016, 07:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w5det

Several years ago I inherited administering the website for our ham radio club because I am the "one-eyed man."  The site included a mostly unused SMF.  At the time, the most recent post was over a year old.  There was the added problem that the local hosting service they had been using was closing its doors.  Time to move.

An sql dump of the SMF database was performed and saved but wasn't restored at the time due to lack of interest.

Recently, I was told some technical information we need had been posted to the forum "for safekeeping."  Time to restore the database.

Except immediately this error occurs:
Query:
CREATE DATABASE `information_schema` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

Error occured at:2016-07-28 05:13:27
Line no.:22
Error Code: 1044 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'information_schema'

Is there a way to get around this error to restore the old system?   I cannot find the old root password.

Illori

you can remove that table info from the dump you have. that table is created by mysql and not needed to be imported, it should already exist on your server.

you dont need the old root password, you would need the current root password if it asks for one.

also be sure you are not connecting to the database with the root account from SMF, that is not secure.

w5det

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I was hoping to be able to browse the DB to determine if the information we're looking for is even there.  I am working this only on a local computer, so secure connection isn't an issue.

The old SMF was version 1.x from around 2009. I can install a version here using XAMPP.  Will any version 1.x work or are there migration issues to consider?

Thanks

Illori

it would be best at this point to upgrade to SMF 2.0. SMF 1.1.* is basically at the end of its life and not getting security updates moving forward.

w5det

ziycon

Glad you got it sorted w5det, if your having issues again let us know and I'll look at them for you.

Advertisement: