Can't get it to install

Started by jlavik, July 29, 2016, 04:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlavik

I'm trying to install smf 2.0.11. I've downloaded and extracted the files, uploaded them to a directory named "forum" on my website in binary mode, set permissions on all files and folders to 777, and still I get the following message:

"A critical error has occurred.

This installer was unable to find the installer's language file or files. They should be found under:

/forum/Themes/default/languages
In some cases, FTP clients do not properly upload files with this many folders. Please double check to make sure you have uploaded all the files in the distribution.

If that doesn't help, please make sure this install.php file is in the same place as the Themes folder.

If you continue to get this error message, feel free to look to us for support."

My webhost (1and1.com) uses PHP 5.6 and MySQL. Does anyone know anything else I can/should try?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Judy

Sir Osis of Liver

Some servers block 777 for security reasons.  Directories should be set to 755, files 644.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

jlavik

jlavik

Didn't make a difference. Any other suggestions?

Illori

did you check to make sure the files are actually present in the folder listed in the message?

jlavik

Quote from: Illori on August 09, 2016, 07:02:21 PM
did you check to make sure the files are actually present in the folder listed in the message?

Yes, of course.

Sir Osis of Liver

Does your account have a public_html directory?  If so, that's where the forum must be installed.

- R. Waters

jlavik

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 10, 2016, 12:53:38 PM
Does your account have a public_html directory?  If so, that's where the forum must be installed.

I have an account with another web host that does, but there's no indication that this one uses a public_html. The forum folder is at the root of my space.

jlavik

I just tried going to the forum directory without typing install.php and got this message:

Warning: require_once(/homepages/34/d637352276/htdocs/forum/Settings.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/34/d637352276/htdocs/forum/index.php on line 44

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/homepages/34/d637352276/htdocs/forum/Settings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php5.6') in /homepages/34/d637352276/htdocs/forum/index.php on line 44

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm ftp access (server, user, pw) I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

What is your domain?
What are the database credentials (server, name, user, pw) you're trying to connect the forum to?

It's not finding Settings.php because the file is named settings.php; same with Settings_bak.php.  I renamed both files, try running the install again.

- R. Waters

jlavik

I've got my ftp client set to force lowercase characters in file names. I can change it and upload again. The domain is asa-wa.us [nofollow]. It just went live today, and I had to use something else (disqus) that I'm not familiar with.  I'll send database info via PM. It's no longer urgent, but I'd still prefer to use smf. Thanks for your help.

Illori

you need to not force lower case file names. if the server is linux the file names are case sensitive, so Settings.php needs to have a capital S and other files the same.

Sir Osis of Liver

All directory and file names are lowercase, no way this installation will work.  You have to upload the install package without changing case.  I'll install it for you if you pm database info.  At present any attempt to link to a file in /forum redirects to your website homepage.  Won't be able to run install.php until you fix that.

- R. Waters

jlavik

OK, so I've uploaded again without forcing lower-case and saw some progress (I guess.) Now, I actually get smf to show up, but it immediately fails with the following message (see screenshot attached.)

Finally going to PM the database info. Thanks for your patience with me.

Sir Osis of Liver

You'll have to downgrade php version in your host control panel, or I won't be able to do the install.  If you can't find a downgrade option, ask your host to do it.

Still can't link to anything in asa-wa.us, redirects to s637352277.onlinehome.us/.

- R. Waters

jlavik

Finally got the redirect issue resolved (doing the same thing I'd tried a dozen times before, but this time it worked) and I downgraded PHP to 5.6.

Thanks so much for your patience with me.

jlavik

GOT IT INSTALLED!!! Thanks so much!

Advertisement: