News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Request URL Too Long Fix

Started by Randem, August 19, 2016, 06:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randem

When searching very large forums then changing pages of your results (Pagination), you can get get the error (Request URL Too Long). This is due to SMF attempting to send a URL greater than 43000 bytes which is more than the server can handle (or should handle). There is absolutely no reason to attempt to pass this amount of data in a URL, there are other more efficient ways (We have use one of them).

You can find the MOD to fix this issue here
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

Arantor

43000 bytes? The limit is 2083 bytes and if you hit that you must have way way way way too many boards.

How do you get them that long?!

Randem

Why on earth would you say "You have too many boards"? Is there some legal limit that someone has imposed? If there is a forum with a large amount of boards they can have it if they want, yes... It is a large forum and that is legal yes? The forum police are not going to come and get us correct?

The bottom line is SMF supports very large forums and this is a fix for those who use very large forums.
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

Arantor

No, it's a matter of practicality. Yes, SMF supports thousands of boards. Users, on the other hand, won't be able to find anything in those thousands of boards.

Bear in mind, I've worked on SMF forums with millions of posts. I can count the number of forums I can think of, on one hand, where more than a thousand boards might actually be viable. Not even the largest SMF forum had that many boards at its peak.

Kindred

I help run two "very large" forums...  and we have fewer than 50 board, even on the largest one.

also -- to other users... we do not recommend randomly downloading mods or "fixes" which have not been at least reviewed by the SMF team.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nend

I recommend checking lengths before storing data in the session. You still have to draw the line somewhere.

*NEND imagines random IP addresses with random form data.

Advertisement: