I need your advice for PrettyUrls Mod

Started by moner, August 19, 2016, 11:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moner

Hi

I need your advice for PrettyUrls Mod ,important for my board on google or not important or normal or bad ?

Because this mod change urls on google and maybe this mod not working with new SMF ,i will have big problem on google

Kindred

A far a google is concerned, prettyURLs are useless.

Use them if you want them... but don't use them with any assumption that google lieks them more than the regular urls.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

firemun

I wouldn't write off friendly/pretty URLs that quickly. While they are not significant to Google and other search engines in terms of SEO, they can be somewhat useful even if just in a small amount.

Keywords in URLs for example can help forums and websites target such keyword. This is why you see so many of them on Google, formatted in a way where keywords are being shown in the result. Also, it is good for good old fashion human eyes. If I see a 'raw url' of a forum and it has a keyword in it describing a subject I am looking for, it will catch my attention more than a URL that is a bunch of numbers and letters not making any point to me.

MOZ still explains that friendly URLs help and they're fairly expert at SEO but I do somewhat agree with Kindred, in a way... URLs are not going to be a significant method of ranking higher on search engines. They will just look better more than anything else.

Kindred

No, the reason that you see them on Google is because people have been told (incorrectly) that it makes a difference...   Or, perhaps, they just want memorable URLs that make sense to humans.

However, specially on a forum, where a n admin has no real say over the thread titles, the prettyurls is basically pointless, as far as seo is concerned.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

firemun

QuoteOr, perhaps, they just want memorable URLs that make sense to humans.

That is more how I feel about what friendly URLs are for search engines and people. So in a way, they help with search, mainly for humans rather than the technical side of optimization. I get what you're saying Kindred and I agree with you :)

Advertisement: