News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

2.0.11 - Random loss of some forum members

Started by Ru88ell, August 21, 2016, 02:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ru88ell

Hi
Our forum has been running very well for some time, however, since Thursday 18th August 2016 we have seen 4 of 280 members randomly deleted. All of their posts are now attributed to Guest. I have no idea how this has happened, but have put into Maintenance Mode as I investigate. Any ideas?
Thanks
Russ

d3vcho

"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Ru88ell

No. All confirmed as not having deleted accounts.

Kindred

Some admin has probably run the delete users routine...  There is no way for the system to randomly delete users
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ru88ell

Which users does the 'delete users routine' delete? I can't imagine any admin doing that, in fact I'm totally sure it hasn't been run.

Kindred

You can delete users by last date logged in...  Or by selecting in the admin user list.

Seriously, there is no way that smf is doing that on its own.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ru88ell

Thanks for help so far. I've spoken to all deleted members and none deleted themselves. Am I left with an inside job? One of my admins deleting members? Is that what you're suggesting? Or someone gaining access via an admin account?

Shambles

Are there any related entries in the Admin log?

Admin > Maintenance > Logs > Administration Log

Ru88ell

There isn't an Admin Log I can see by that path.

Shambles

Pity you haven't enabled such logs in the Core Features.

Maybe now's the time to do so?

Admin > Configuration > Core Features

Illori

Quote from: Shambles on August 22, 2016, 06:47:59 AM
Pity you haven't enabled such logs in the Core Features.

Maybe now's the time to do so?

Admin > Configuration > Core Features

dont forget to save the page when you are done enabling the features.

aegersz

what is common about the deleted members ?

are they all the oldest ?, for example ... that might be a clue.

don't forget to take regular database backups (i take them every 4 hours but that's probably excessive) also.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

shawnb61

Slight possibility of corruption.

I'd also run forum AND DB maint procedures.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: