News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Started by skb, August 23, 2016, 05:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Have lost forum avatars due to some error.
I have a back up. If I upload the avatar & attachments directory,  these will be reinstated ?

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Shambles

Wouldn't it be easier to just try it and see?

Illori

Quote from: Shambles on August 23, 2016, 06:28:30 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just try it and see?

if the calls to the avatars are no longer in the database, restoring the files will not make the avatars work.

skb

That is what seems to be the problem. If I do the full restore from the back up, I will lose some of the posts for the past 2 days. Any way out, except to ask them to upload again ?

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

d3vcho

Asking them to upload their avatars again would be the safer option in my opinion.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Shambles

Quote from: Illori
if the calls to the avatars are no longer in the database, restoring the files will not make the avatars work.

OP hasn't stated how they are lost - he just says he has a backup of them. I assume he means the actual avatar files, so restoring the folder is worth a go.

skb

Quote from: Shambles on August 23, 2016, 08:59:16 AM
OP hasn't stated how they are lost - he just says he has a backup of them.

I lost them because of my own stupidity. I moved them to another directory, then applied the sa=moveAvatars and inadvertently deleted the new folder. I have 3 backups but cannot find the avatar.png files on any of the sub-directories. The avatar folders have only the Musicians, Actors folders. Where are the files stored ?   

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

a10

Have you looked in the attachments folder of some backup from before the 'move avatars' ? Search for *.png or avatar*
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

skb

They are there with hashed names. Any way to reconvert them into png ?

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Kindred

are they ALL pngs?

Also, the system only hashes user uploaded avatars - not system avatars.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

skb

Quote from: Kindred on August 24, 2016, 09:03:44 AM
are they ALL pngs?

Also, the system only hashes user uploaded avatars - not system avatars.

I'm not very certain about (1). They could be gif or jgg as well
The 2nd point I've become aware of after facing this issue. I've asked members to upload once again. Thanks for the help, all of you.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Advertisement: