Any way to get somebody who's been banned off the board if he doesn't log off?

Started by BarbaraGraham, August 25, 2016, 10:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbaraGraham

He's spewing his vitriol all over the place, and I can't seem to get him off until he logs off.

Shambles

If he/she has been banned, how is he/she continuing to create posts?

Siirist

Quote from: Shambles on August 25, 2016, 11:07:29 AM
If he/she has been banned, how is he/she continuing to create posts?

Exactly.

Just guessing here, what if the member belongs so some membergroup (existing or created) that has powers (permissions) that supercedes (over-rules) the ban.
Such as if the member was an Administrator for instance?

Just a thought.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Kindred

Nothing supersedes a ban. If the user is truly banned, then they can not access the system... Admin or not.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Thanks Kindred.

I just thought that maybe, but am now corrected.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

shawnb61

Maybe the wrong user was banned?   Another user with a very similar name?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Dav999

Quote from: Kindred on August 25, 2016, 09:50:43 PM
Nothing supersedes a ban. If the user is truly banned, then they can not access the system... Admin or not.
Actually, admins cannot be banned (and as far as I have seen, anyone with certain admin permissions, I suspect admin_forum), and if you place a ban on them anyway, it will have no effect until they log out. (That is, unless you ban them via .htaccess)

BarbaraGraham, have you actually added triggers to the ban or have you just given it a name?

Siirist

Hey There,

So I have a regular member for testing purposes and I added "Administrator" as an "added membergroup".

When I then attempted to ban that regular member with Administrative permissions I got the attached screenshot (i.e. you can try to ban, but you must remove Administrative permissions before doing so.

Thus, a member with Administrative permissions could go to a members profile, reset the permissions so that member no longer has Administrative permissions and then ban the member.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

Advertisement: