News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to topics main page

Started by freakdylan, August 25, 2016, 01:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakdylan

So my forum only has one category and 30 topics and they wont be changing. It is a pain to have to go through the category to see the topics. Is there a way to make it so all the topics show on main page as opposed to the category?

Thanks in advance.

PS I know its silly but its how I want my site to look.

br360

Welcome to SMF :)

You can install a portal mod, and set it so that a list of all topics are shown on your home page

d3vcho

"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Illori

Quote from: br360 on August 25, 2016, 02:07:23 PM
Welcome to SMF :)

You can install a portal mod, and set it so that a list of all topics are shown on your home page

i am not sure a portal mod out of the box has a set way to show a list of topics that changes as topics are made. although a php page can be created to try to list them.

br360

I am using simpleportal, and I know they do have a topics block that updates as new topics are made; and you can list as many topics as you would like as well

Illori

Quote from: br360 on August 25, 2016, 02:55:04 PM
I am using simpleportal, and I know they do have a topics block that updates as new topics are made; and you can list as many topics as you would like as well

tinyportal has a recent topics block but i am not sure that is what the op wants.

freakdylan

Thanks for info everyone and sorry for putting post in wrong spot "DUUUUHHH"

Think I will try simpleportal and maybe tinyportal. I wont be adding new topics which is why wanted on main page.

Thanks again.

freakdylan

Well tried both of those portals and neither seemed to do what I wanted, did a ton of stuff but not really what I was looking for. Or maybe I am too old and too slow to get it to work right. Hmmmmm

Those just added tons of boxes all over the main page which isnt what I wanted. I just want the Categories gone so only shows topics. I only have one category so seems stupid to have a main page with one item then click it and go to the 100 topics. Oh well back to drawing board.

br360

Just to confirm, take a look at the image and let me know if this something you are looking to do. These are a list of all topics from a specific category and I placed it on the main index page. (it's a test site, so ignore the spam topics ;) )

freakdylan

Hey br360 appreciate the extra help but no. What your showing is simply a recent topic list, which is different then the actual topics list. Hard to explain but if you go to your topics section they wont look like that. Your showing essentially cliff notes.

Im using some topic mods and they wont show in the cliff notes.

I super appreciate the help but like I said in first post is silly idea.

nend

This is a little hackish but should do what you want it to do.

Open up your main index.php in the root of your forum folder.

Find
<?php

Add in a new line after
if (!isset($_REQUEST['action']) && !isset($_REQUEST['topic']))
$_GET['board'] = '1.0';

Be sure to change the number to the board you want it to load on the main index.

This doesn't account for modifications and can have some negative effects if a modification doesn't use action.

gideonel

maybe the OP should drop his forum url here lets see what it looks like, and also drop another forum url he's modeling, i hope this will give a clear picture of his problem and possible solution

Advertisement: