News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

undeleted a member but does not show up in member list

Started by Deprecated, August 25, 2016, 09:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

My admin deleted a member and his posts, and then banned him. Problem is, you can't do that because there will be no ban triggers.

Fortunately I had backed up the database mere hours before, so I located the member record in smf_members and re-inserted it into the database, then did a good ban with all the triggers.

I'm sure the ban will work, but the problem is that the member does not show in the member list. However if I look up another member's profile and then change the member number, I get the banned member's profile. Indeed it shows the member is banned.

Did I do something wrong? Or do banned members automatically not appear in the member list?

If wrong, there must be another table I neglected to repair. Suggestions?

Siirist

Hey there,

I have banned 4 members without the deletion first and none of them are in the memberlist.

However, all 4 of them are listed ACP > Members > Ban List

If they are on your ban list, it will also list the number of triggers, 3 on each in my case.

Ban name    Notes    Reason    Added    Expires    Triggers    Actions=Modify

Hope that helps.

Be Well,
Siirist    
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Deprecated

Thanks Siirist. The member is in the ban list and that's why I said I'm sure the ban will stick. Perhaps banned members do not show in the member list. Perhaps tomorrow I'll traipse through the member list code and see if the SQL query excludes members who are banned. I don't see anything in smf_members related to bans but a simple JOIN would handle that. I guess I need to examine the code and see how the list is actually generated. -- I'll let my question stand pending further answers.

In answer to your personal text in the postbit, I'd say Kindred would say something nice and understanding, and give good advice. I don't know Illori.

Illori

banned members dont show in the public members list. they should show in the members list in the admin panel though.
the group id +10 shows that the user is banned and that should be checked in the member list.

Siirist

Hey There,

Prior to Illori's post, my thought is that you really know code and so you like working that way - However, I don't know any code, so I let the forum software do the work for me.

So, that said, I think you are over-complicateing your concern.
As I posted, and you confirmed,
1) the member is in the Ban List (so the member is in fact banned) and
2) the member is not in the "memberlist" (because they have been banned).

Things that "show-up" in the ACP are not visible to Regular Members but are seen by Admins.

Illori's post totally nailed it.  Thanks for that Illori.  ;)

We are all here to help as we can.   :)
Hoping that this resolves your concern and puts you at ease.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Deprecated

Quote from: Illori on August 26, 2016, 05:06:46 AM
banned members dont show in the public members list. they should show in the members list in the admin panel though.
the group id +10 shows that the user is banned and that should be checked in the member list.

And now I know you too! :) That explains a lot because I did note group ID = 11 which bothered me because I have no group ID 11 but regular members are group 1. :) And indeed he shows in the member list from the ACP. Thanks Illori! :)

Siirist, I do know code but I know no way to completely restore a member except to copy the member record from an old backup and go into phpMyAdmin to re-insert them. Not quite code but the only way I know to put a deleted member back, and I'm pleased to say it worked perfectly!

I can hardly wait to see my ban log! ROFL! Said member has been a daily PITA and totally ignores staff PMs, and continued to post even when under post approval. Obviously a bot and maybe a .... too!

I could look at the public member list code and see where banned members are not listed but I know I would find something, and as we engineers say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :)

Thank you everybody! With that I consider this discussion completely solved and I appreciate all the input!

Deprecated

Haha, just to add, yeppers my ban log shows a dozen login attempts yesterday and another dozen login attempts today! And no new posts from said member. It worked perfectly!

I'm sure this "thing" is totally automated, a bot. Probably isn't seeing the "you're banned" message and probably is still going through the motions of posting. And a good explanation why staff PMs were always ignored, and why said member never noticed the post moderation.

Thanks again gang! :D

Advertisement: