News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Spam prevention in SMF?

Started by Kawaii-Volt32, August 27, 2016, 03:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawaii-Volt32

Hi,
Just wondering, what anti-spam mechanisms are included in SMF 2.0.11, and what extensions can I make to further prevent spammers/etc?

I'm referring to either bots or humans, whatever stops each.

If "link post prevention for new members" is a thing, can I exclude specific URLs like Google, YouTube, Facebook, Dailymotion and certain image hosts from being blocked to post by new users?

Thanks. I'm not new to forums, but am to SMF and have a great impression so far.

Irisado

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Kawaii-Volt32

Thanks. I think the verification questions will work fairly well for the community, though I'd preferably like to see StopForumSpam implemented in 2.0.11, as a MOD, is there any news of an implementation for 2.1?

The CAPTCHA is fairly good too, compared to some others I have seen :)

d3vcho

SMF does not include any "mechanisms" to control Spam. It depends on your forum configuration... For example if you allow guests to post in topics, there are higher possibilities to be spammed than if you not allow them.

Some configurations related to this can be found in Admin > Configuration > Security and Moderation > Anti-Spam

Regards
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Steve

As Kindred and others will tell you, the best defense against spammers is to not allow them to register is the first place (which obviously doesn't apply to guests as d3vcho mentioned). After reading the link Irisado gave you, take a look at this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531660.msg3776163#msg3776163
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kawaii-Volt32

I actually made the security question for the site to be what my username is shortened (KV32): a huge hint is that the first 4 letters of the URL are actually KV32, which might throw a bot out, I assume they can't shorten things like 'Kawaii-Volt32'. I'm not sure if a real person would have difficulty, but I doubt it.

Thanks anyway also for the URLs and help too, hopefully my site won't be spammed too much (except by real people of course should they find the URL). Of course, guest posting is disabled to stop spam, I wouldn't allow guest posting anyway if I'm honest, it usually leads to other issues.

Kindred

You need a minimum of 10 questions and should ask 2-3 ---  otherwise the human spammers will catalog the correct answer in short time and will get added to the bot database
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: