News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Converting from E107

Started by MattConlon, August 29, 2016, 05:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattConlon

I've had this website on e107 for close to 10 years, and today I updated to version 2.1. Honestly, the ONLY thing I use it for is forums, and I'm thinking of trying to go to something a little lighter.. .I don't need a news page, and I really only have about 8 folks accessing / using the site anyway, and it's all posting in the forums.

Is it possible to convert from E107 to SimpleMachines? I was also considering phpBB... Is there a compelling reason to go with Simple Machimes over phpBB?

Any and all feedback / direction is welcomed!

Mead

http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=e107

Is the official converter you are on a SMF forum most people here will say use SMF, what I say is try both, and see what meets your requirements.
Sleep Well K@ You May Be Gone But Your Memory Lives On!

MattConlon

That's what I expected, as far as preference, just didn't know if there was a short list of bullets why this smf is better. From what I recall when I was reading some years ago, smf was more secure.

As far as the converter, thanks! I was not sure if that would convert the most recent version of e107.

Mead

their is no definitive list as its all down to the webmasters preference and individual preferences.  Years ago SMF was more secure, but now phpBB has completley changed its code base, uses a framework now, its not as easy to claim that its less secure.  Of course SMF fanboi's will claim differently.  The best and most honest advice is try both, try converting in a secure environment to both and see what you need and what fits your needs!

MattConlon

Fair enough - Sounds pretty much what I figured.

From what I read, there's no direct conversion to phpBB. My needs are really simple, so likely, if the conversion to SMF goes well, I'll probably just stay there.

Thanks again!

MattConlon

I tried to run this conversion. It looks like this is for E107 Version 0.7.7... I'm running V2.1. When I ran this, I got: Unknown system variable 'SQL_MAX_JOIN_SIZE'

Not sure what to do now, is there an updated conversion tool? I'd really like to get off e107...

MattConlon

I would consider paying for assistance, for what it's worth.

Mead

their is no updated version, the team are not really focussing on converters i am afraid.  As for getting someone to write a converter that works you would need to ask in Help Wanted (Not Support)

Advertisement: