News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Maintenance Mode Just Appeared

Started by ronaldrwl, August 30, 2016, 12:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldrwl

My forum this morning just popped up with the message that it's in Maintenance Mode.
I looked on the server and some of the files had been duplicated:
index.php
index.php~
SSI.php
SSI.php~

How can I recover from this Maintenance Mode?
Thanks,
Ronald

Pipke

well just turn Maintenance mode back to off ?
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

ronaldrwl

There is no interface or buttons with the forum.  It just says
"Maintenance Mode
Okay faithful users...we're attempting to restore an older backup of the database...news will be posted once we're back!"

This message is not from me.  Nothing was done to the forum.

Illori

ronaldrwl

Kindred

also, the php~ files are merely backups which are created, automatically, when you install a mod
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ronaldrwl

Why do you think my forum is flipping to Maintenance Mode on it's own?  It's happened twice in the last two weeks.  I'm the only Admin.

Kindred

AFAIK, it can not ever happen "on its own"

1- your host may be restoring a backup that was taken when the maintenance mode flag was set to on. (naughty host - they should tell you)
2- your other admins might accidentally be changing a setting
3- You may have been hacked and the script kiddies are doing something odd.  Check for new files dates (as noted, php~ files are actually supposed to be present)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Sir Osis of Liver

You should be able to login as admin in maintenance mod, then you can disable it in Admin -> Server Settings.  If you're not seeing a login, something's broken.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

or someone set the maintenance mode = 2
Слaва
Украинi

Sir Osis of Liver

That can only be done by editing Settings.php or running repair_settings.php, both of which require ftp or cpanel access.  Since it's happened several times, best to assume security is compromised, and change all admin, ftp, and cpanel passwords.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: