News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to remove Forgot your password? link from login box?

Started by abrodski, August 30, 2016, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abrodski

Hello!

I use SMF 2.0.11
I want to remove Forgot your password? link from login box, so that only the forum admin could assign and change passwords. How that can be done?

Illori

why? users can still change their password from their profile if they are alread logged in.

abrodski

Quote from: Illori on August 30, 2016, 01:50:33 PM
why? users can still change their password from their profile if they are alread logged in.
Why what? I'm logged in as a user and I don't see an option for a password change. And like I said before, I wish to know how to remove the Forgot your password? link from the login page.

Kindred

1- users can change their passwords in their profile.
2- removing the forgot password link is a terrible, terrible idea that will do nothing other than annoy the users ---  and may actually violate some local laws, since it means that a user can lose access to his own account.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

abrodski

Quote from: Kindred on August 30, 2016, 02:20:52 PM
1- users can change their passwords in their profile.
2- removing the forgot password link is a terrible, terrible idea that will do nothing other than annoy the users ---  and may actually violate some local laws, since it means that a user can lose access to his own account.
1. How?
2. I'm just asking a coding question here, not a marketing one or a legal advice.

Matthew K.

In good conscious, none of us are going to give you the answer to your question. I fully agreed with Kindred, and this actually might be against the law. It would not be cool to not allow users to change their passwords.

abrodski

Quote from: Matthew K. on August 30, 2016, 02:53:44 PM
In good conscious, none of us are going to give you the answer to your question. I fully agreed with Kindred, and this actually might be against the law. It would not be cool to not allow users to change their passwords.
They are not users, but paying customers with a signed contract in hand. They won't have a right to change any passwords. All the passwords they would get from the company (from me in other words).
What Russian law it violates? Show me. Customers shouldn't be able to play with their passwords and especially when someone can have access to their e-mail accounts and could change their passwords, get into the forum and read the confidential information about our clients' cases.

Also, this question was already answered by margarett here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=514208.0

And the reason why I'm asking is because the guy who was asking that question made it so unclear and complicated, so I'm not sure that the answer is the one I need for my question.

P.S. Here's another link. but it was about SMF 1.1

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=142882.0

abrodski

Well, so far what I found out is that I can simply delete the file Sources/Reminder.php and then if someone clicks on the Forgot your password link, then they would just get a blank white browser window. But I think it would be the best to just remove the link itself. Why to mess around with the code? Maybe there's a way to use CSS for that. Anybody has an idea? Why it is a secret? It's illegal in the US to remove that link from the SMF forum? What's immoral about that? If a customer signs a binding contract with a company it can't be immoral to not let him mess around with his credentials. So what the fuss is all about then?

Sir Osis of Liver

WTF?  Simple question, simple answer.  It's in Login.template.php, look for 'reminder'.  And fyi, users can change pw in Profile -> Account Settings.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

abrodski

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 30, 2016, 04:31:24 PM
WTF?  Simple question, simple answer.  It's in Login.template.php, look for 'reminder'.  And fyi, users can change pw in Profile -> Account Settings.

Thank you! What I've found in Login.template.php is this on line 155:

<p class="centertext smalltext"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=reminder">', $txt['forgot_your_password'], '</a></p>

So now I'm not sure whether to delete just the words 'forgot_your_password' or to delete the whole line or what?

Also I can't locate the password change option in Profile when I'm logged in as a user. I went to Permissions in admin panel and chose a user's membergroup and there there's no "V" where it says "Edit account settings". Probably that's why?

Sir Osis of Liver

Comment out the entire line -

<!--p class="smalltext"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=reminder">', $txt['forgot_your_password'], '</a></p-->

It's in two places.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

If 'Edit account settings' is disabled in permissions, 'Account Settings' is not displayed in profile menu, member cannot change anything in that menu.

- R. Waters

abrodski

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 30, 2016, 04:54:06 PM
Comment out the entire line -

<!--p class="smalltext"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=reminder">', $txt['forgot_your_password'], '</a></p-->

It's in two places.

Thanks a lot, Sir! Yeah you were right, it's also on line 72. It's much better now, otherwise it's a security breach, since lots of ppl just don't even log out from their e-mail accounts, forums etc. And then, say, a roommate can easily get access to another person's e-mail account and thus easily change the forum's password and then login into forum. I think it's a very bad idea to have that link BEFORE you're already logged in. Because even if someone can have access to another person's e-mail account and there's no such a link, then the bad guy won't get into his victim's forum's account to make a change there (even if it's possible, which is not in my forum's case).

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, now you know where to go anytime you need a legal opinion. ;)

- R. Waters

Matthew K.

They can just as easily still hit: index.php?action=reminder without a link. Doesn't remove that.

abrodski

Quote from: Matthew K. on August 30, 2016, 05:11:01 PM
They can just as easily still hit: index.php?action=reminder without a link. Doesn't remove that.

Hmm, it's true. I didn't think of that. Thanks! So now what? Is it safe to also delete Sources/Reminder.php like I wrote before? Or is there a better way around it?

Sir Osis of Liver

Unlikely anyone would know that, but just in case -

index.php

// 'reminder' => array('Reminder.php', 'RemindMe'),

Just comment out or delete that line.

- R. Waters

abrodski

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 30, 2016, 05:16:11 PM
Unlikely anyone would know that, but just in case -

index.php

// 'reminder' => array('Reminder.php', 'RemindMe'),

Just comment out or delete that line.

Is that index.php of forum's root OR it's in Themes/default folder?

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Pipke

Quote from: Matthew K. on August 30, 2016, 05:11:01 PM

To solve that you can also use this under the first global var line in Reminder.template.php

if (empty($context['user']['is_admin']))
redirectexit();
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

Advertisement: