error massage then trying to upload SMF....

Started by americansports, August 31, 2016, 10:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

americansports

Hi everybody.

Firstly i am as new as can be, so sorry about the stupid questions. and if this is not the correct forum, again not really sure what i am hxxp:doing.so [nonactive] here we go, i need some help.i have a domain on hxxp:godaddy.com [nonactive], and i want simple machines forum installed. i have wordpress from hxxp:godaddy.com [nonactive], and then i go in under appearance: Themes: add new. and i press upload (p.s. i have downloaded SMF zip. it is starting, but then i got this:

Unpacking the package...

Installing the theme...

The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.

Theme install failed.

question is what am i doing wrong, is it something i have done wrong, it is SMF there is something wrong with,or is it a problem that hxxp:godaddy.com [nonactive] need to fix ?

thanks in advance for any respond, and thanks for any help given.

Kind Regards
Michael; Weber
Dublin, Ireland

Illori

link to the theme you are trying to install? which version of SMF do you have installed?

Matthew K.

Do you have SMF installed already? Sorry, but to me that was unclear. It almost sounds like you are trying to install SMF as a WordPress theme, which would cause some obvious issues...

Kindred

You can not install SMF as a WordPress theme or as a WordPress plugin.

SMF is a stand-alone software that must be installed individually.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

americansports

Hi Illori

i am using SMF 2.0.11
what i have done so far is this. click download SMF 2.0.11 (zip) then i go onto hxxp:godaddy.com [nonactive] and in there i click appearance, themes, add new, upload themes, choose file, and in my download list on my pc, i click "smf_2-0-11_install.zip" and then open, then i am back to wordpress in godaddy. and i click install now. it then start to say uploading and then it hit's 3% i comes up with the error massage.
Now this is exactly the steps i have done, now i might have done something wrong (most likely as i am new to all this,and never ever done anything like this before)
again thanks for any help out there

Regards
Michael

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on August 31, 2016, 10:58:38 AM
You can not install SMF as a WordPress theme or as a WordPress plugin.

SMF is a stand-alone software that must be installed individually.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

americansports

ok this might be a really stupid question,
How do i installed SMF individually on my PC. and then get it onto my domain, again sorry i hope i am not wasting anyone's time, but i want to learn this stuff, i just feel a bit frustrated right now :-)

michael

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Matthew K.

I believe OP means how does he install it FROM his PC, which he does need to do. Just through FTP and GoDaddy. The links Kindred posted will explain to you how to do it.

americansports

hi everyone, thanks so far for the help, i still cant fully figur it out lol well i guess i will one day, just one question, then you say "Just through FTP and GoDaddy" i downloaded SmartFTP Client, again most likely as i am new,i cant get that to work, i to put it another way,i have no clue what i am doing or how to do it (honesty is the best way)
I think i need to sit down and do a lot of reading about this, as it is SMF i want on my domain/webpage. godaddy have a good few templets but not what i have in mind, :-)
so far thanks again for the help/feedback

Regards
Michael

Matthew K.

SMF is a forum software. Are you wanting to use a forum software, or are you just wanting your WordPress site to look like SMF...?

americansports

Hi тнє נя

i am looking to hopefully use the forum software,
have to admit i am a bit lost in how to do it. first i was looking at vbulletin, but to be honest i dont have the money to use that, so looking around i fund SMF, and it looks and does just what i am after,

michael

Matthew K.

Hello americansports,

There are plenty of guides on how to use an FTP client, I would personally recommend "FileZilla" over SmartFTP. Also, this may or may not work for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yge1MZqenko

Cheers!

Advertisement: