News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Page View stats in SMF way different than adsense

Started by heymow, September 01, 2016, 12:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heymow

I have 3 SMF forums.  For August 2016 they had a combined 1,018,527 page views according to the stats page of SMF. 
Google's Adsense reports only 85,124 page views...less than 10% of SMF's stats.

At least one google ad shows on every page loaded so I don't understand how Google could be so far off.

Given that one forum is almost 11 years old and another is 9 years old and SMF's page view stats have grown commensurate with member and content growth, I tend to believe SMF's stats.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed such a gross discrepancy and what I can do to fix it if Google is wrong.

Illori

SMF stats will include spiders, you need to verify if your adsense reports include them as well or not.

heymow

Thank you for your reply.  I'm fairly sure the adsense stats do not include spider crawls, especially google's own, but is it normal that spider traffic would account for a 91% of my traffic?

Illori

we cant answer that. we dont know anything about your forum or the traffic that it may be receiving.

heymow

Ok, I get that.  I went to the "who's online" link and found several spiders that weren't listed on the main SMF page.  It seems I'm crawling with spiders!  Google, Google Adsense, Yahoo, scoutjet, proximic, and baidu to name a few.  I'm blocking the ones I don't want crawling my site (China has no interest in me) and hopefully I'll see the gap narrow a bit.
You have enlightened me.  I really appreciate it.  :)

Illori

does that mean you are running SMF 2.0 and you posted this in the incorrect board?

heymow

No and I have no idea why you would ask.  Two of my forums (the big ones) are 1.1.21.  However, the link looks the same in my third forum which runs 2.0.11.

The link is in the "Users Online" box at the bottom of the home page and looks like this:  "2 Spiders, 38 Guests, 2 Users"

It brings up a page Titled "Who's Online" so I called it the "Who's Online" link.

I'm blocking those I don't want with a robots.txt file.
I also loaded the modification:  spiders_dont_increase_topic_views_v1-1

What this thread has done for me is enlighten me to the possible magnitude of the spider traffic on my sites and exercise some control over it.  I don't want my page views escalated to an unrealistic number by robots.  That's like cheating to make the site look bigger than it is and pretty much invalidates the "page views" stat by skewing the data so grossly.  Also, if I'm serving 800k pages to robots and I don't care about most of them crawling my site, then I'm wasting bandwidth and data.

These are my sites

heymow dot com
legendsracer dot com

Illori

SMF 1.1.* does not have the feature to list the spiders on the who's online page, so i thought you were using SMF 2.0 that does have this feature.

heymow

10-4  The only ones listed as spiders are Google and Yahoo.  I may have even loaded a mod to list them but it was years ago and I don't recall.  The others are listed as guests but they have a link to their website where their ip is shown.  I just went to the websites and determined if they had any real need to be crawling me.

Advertisement: