Taking over an existing forum

Started by Plantje, September 05, 2016, 01:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plantje

Together with two other people I have been moderating a forum about fly fishing. Apart from that there is one administrator. He makes sure we have backups and....that's it...

Now, the administrator wants to quit his work on the forum and I am looking to take over his work and responsibilities. As I understood there are quite some error messages lately. I don't know where or how he sees them as I am just a moderator.
Next to that our forum really lacks the possibility to upload pictures to a server our cloud location from the topics themselves. So people will need to put their pictures on a drop box, flickr or some sort of picture sharing site and then link to the picture from the topic. That should be easier!
I have no clue on how to work with mods and how to create backups. I am not sure if one can access the database using database management tooling (i.e. to bulk change the topic title)

I have some IT experience as I am a business intelligence consultant for over 13 years now. So, if I get pointed to the right sources of information I should be good. Only downside is I currently don't have time to read for hours and hours.

So, what is your question Plantje?
Good you ask! Where can I find a crash course in SMF?
So, I don't need to know all the details all at once. Just what I need to keep that forum running and make sure everything is backed up and can be restored if needed. Then later on if I run into specific matters that I can't figure out I'm sure I'll find my way to this forum.

Plantje

Hmmm... I should be good starting here: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Main_Page :)

I will be happy for any suggestions given, though!

Kindred

Regarding uploading pictures...  There are two ways to deal with pics.
1- use the img bbcode . This requires pics to be uploaded to an external source which is publically accessible.
2- use attachments, and upload the pics directly attached to a post.

On the other hand....
To use them within the post, as attachments, toy would need the inline attachment mod

To upload pics and host your own gallery, you would need to use one of the gallery mods.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Plantje

Thank you! I will look for those gallery mods then.

Advertisement: