News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Calculating Profile Fields

Started by Ezaco, September 07, 2016, 03:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezaco

I'm looking for something somewhat complicated... I don't think it exists, least I can't find it. I don't even know if it can be done.

Currently my clan uses Excel to calculate between dates to come up with a number for time in a certain rank or time in the clan itself for promotions and awards. While this isn't a bad thing, we've always wondered if we can make it easier on our staff who does this work by integrating it into the web. I wanted to see if this was possible to do inside of SMF.

Basically I want to have some profile fields that you can input dates to calculate between.. numerous ones if possible. Then there to be additional profile fields that add some of those other fields together to display another number.... and then a final profile field that reads the data in those profile fields and displays a desired result based on inputable requisites.

I know that was really confusing so I'll detail the fields down below.

Field 1: Date of Join (Date joined the clan). Outputs a date.

Field 2: Date of Rank (Date of last promotion). Outputs a date.

Field 3: Time in Active (Time within Active Duty to the clan. Typically today's date minus Date of Join, but some people go in and out of Reserves, so something like '(Today - 20OCT15) + (20JUL15 - 30SEP15)' etc.). Outputs a number that is the difference between dates, and the addition of those differences.

Field 4: Time in Reserves (Time within the Reserve component. Again some people go in and out of this so it'd need to have multple date inputs similar to above.) Outputs a number that is the difference between dates, and the addition of those differences.

Field 5: Time in Service (Total time with the clan. Because we grade the time in Reserves differently. This is a calculation of (Time in Active + (Time in Reserves)/3)) Outputs a number.

Field 6: Time in Grade. (Time since last promotion. This would need multiple dates since as stated above we grade time spent in Reserves differently. Something similar to (Today - 20OCT15) + ((30SEP15 - 20OCT15)/3) + (20JUL15 - 30SEP15)). Outputs a number.

Field 7: Composite Score. (A mathematical calculation of any profile fields desired. Because I can use custom profile fields for other desired inputs such as number of events attended, I'd like to to simply be the ability to input a custom formula for created profile fields. Something like: (Time in Active/5) + (Attend Events * 4) + or - any fields I wish to designate.

I know that sounds kind of confusing and that it may not even be possible. But I thought I'd ask.

Advertisement: