News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Need CSS help

Started by uamsameter, September 11, 2016, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uamsameter

Hi there,
I need help with my forum background.
I'm using the default curve theme and I understand the background is a .png file. However, when I change the backdrop.png, only a small portion of the background changes while othersthe lower part remains plain.

Is there a way to make the backdrop.png become to aall-ound background?
Wandering is free. Certainty has a price.

Kindred

backdrop.png is only 477 pixels in height...  it's intended as a fade-out from dark blue to #e9eef2

play around with the size of the image.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

uamsameter

Thanks for the reply, Kindred.
Bigger resolution covered larger space on the background as you said.

One resultant issue is that the size of my background image is now large (143kb) as opposed to the small size of the original backdrop.png
I noticed that the original backdrop.png is 13px wide and thus there's a horizontal repetition to make it cover the background sufficiently.

Is there a way to implement a vertical repition? Such that my image is "tiled" repeatedly in the background, no matter the width or height of the page content.

Thanks.

Kindred

in css

repeat-x, repeat-y or just repeat
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

uamsameter

Antechinus

Quote from: Kindred on September 11, 2016, 09:46:40 AM
backdrop.png is only 477 pixels in height...  it's intended as a fade-out from dark blue to #e9eef2

play around with the size of the image.

Or simply change the background colour on the body tag, so it matches the changed image. Theming 101.

Quote from: uamsameter on September 11, 2016, 10:51:07 AMIs there a way to implement a vertical repition? Such that my image is "tiled" repeatedly in the background, no matter the width or height of the page content.

It's the default behaviour if you don't specify a repeat. Using repeat-x restricts it to tiling horizontally (as in the default css) while repeat-y restricts it to tiling vertically, and obviously no-repeat stops it tiling at all.

However, as a quick test, if you remove the repeat-x from the default css you'll see backdrop.png tile all over the background. Or you can just use a css3 gradient or whatever.

Advertisement: