News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

not allowing attachments or photos

Started by u133066, September 20, 2016, 04:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

u133066

This is probably an old problem but, I am having problems with SMF not allowing attachments to post. I get the message:

Prince George Vintage Motorcycle Club » Help Files » Forum Help
An Error Has Occurred!
Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.
Back

I have checked with my server techs and they have made no changes at their end. I also cannot insert photos into a post it just shows a little green box
This started happening around 2 aug 2016

I am on 2.0.2 and all of the read write files are in the correct status
I would appreciate any help
Thanks

Kindred

well, first things first -- you need to update your smf installation to 2.0.11 ASAP. You are 9 revisions behind, including numerous security and even some functional updates.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

u133066

Thank you for replying - I went to my "update the forum" link and I got this message:

An Error Has Occurred!
You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

How do I find the miscreant file?

Thank again

Kindred

make sure that your files are set to chmod 644 and directories at 755.  Make sure you have a temp directory inside your Packages directory
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

u133066

Made sure Directories and Files are set as shown also saw there was NO "temp" directory in Packages so I created a new one.
Thanks again every step helps

u133066

I am still in the same situation. I cannot Update to the latest version 2.0.11 from 2.0.2 as I still get the same message as shown above.
Is it therefore possible to "Install" 2.0.11 as a separate system on my server and then bring the users etc. from my previous, 2.0.2, system over to it so that our members don't have to start all over again??
Again all help is appreciated

d3vcho

Hello!

Let's try one last thing, try to chmod "Packages" to 777 and tell us if there are any changes. Also, have a look at this if you dont mind: [Support] Having troubles with package manager?

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

u133066

OK I will try that today and check the link.
Thank You

Shambles

Please be aware that "latest version 2.0.11" should actually read "latest version 2.0.12" - just sayin'

Kindred

If the upgrade patches fail, you can always use the large upgrade archive.  Overwrite ALL files with the upgrade files, download and run fix-packages.php to undo any mod hooks -- and then re-apply mods and themes
Слaва
Украинi

lurkalot

Quote from: Kindred on September 28, 2016, 03:12:01 PM
If the upgrade patches fail, you can always use the large upgrade archive.  Overwrite ALL files with the upgrade files, download and run fix-packages.php to undo any mod hooks -- and then re-apply mods and themes

and then re-apply mods and themes = and then re-apply themes and mods  ;)

u133066

Just to update all on my problem;
Found that there was a gremlin in the server database I use. They were able to replicate my problems and then after a couple more days they cured it.
I am now able to "attach" files and photos and have also followed the SMC update trail to 2.0.6.
So thank you all for your input and suggestions as every piece of information received was a step towards a solution.

Advertisement: