News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

facebook help

Started by uamsameter, September 21, 2016, 07:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uamsameter

Hi there,
I can't seem to post my link on facebook. I have pretty urls installed but it still doesn't allow me post
It always return an error message: "something went wrong,  we are trying to fix it....."

Can anyone please tell me how to fix this problem and enable my forum url get posted on Facebook?
Wandering is free. Certainty has a price.

Kindred

well, pretty urls or not -- those have nothing at all to do with posting to facebook.

What is the URL you are trying to post?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

d3vcho

Hello!

Have you tried with some different links?

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

uamsameter

Kindred,  the url is www.unibujaforum.com

d3vcho, yes i tried other links and I could post them

d3vcho

uamsameter

Thanks for the reply.
The link brings the same error message.

I also tried shortening my link with bit.ly and tinyurl but stll no change :(

Shambles

What version of SMF are you running? Your forum doesn't show a visible copyright/version so it's tough to tell...

uamsameter

Kindred

Actually, having just looked at your site, I confirm that you are not displaying the SMF copyright.

While that is legally allowed, under the BSD license, the majority of the team and many folks here on simplemachiens.org have determined that we will not provide support to such sites. By removing the SMF copyright, you have essentially declared that you have no need for the support of SMF.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

uamsameter

Okay. I removed it because i think it is neater this way plus it's not illegal.

I hope I'll find where to slot it back in.

Kindred

you are correct. It is not illegal.

As I said, however, by removing it, you are basically taking away the credit of the SMF community and we have opted to not provide support to sites which have essentially said "We don't need to credit you and so do not need your help"
Слaва
Украинi

Shambles

Quote from: uamsameter
Okay. I removed it because i think it is neater this way plus it's not illegal.

I hope I'll find where to slot it back in.

Just reverse what you did to remove it.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=548081.msg3887672#msg3887672

That said, I don't usually contribute to threads where the copyright/credits are toggled on & off for the duration of a support request.

uamsameter

okay. since that's the consensus.
i'm just concerned about the neatness of the footer.

can i manually give credit to SMF like "designed by me using SMF software" in the footer section?
will revert my right to a reply from support members?

Illori

no, we require the official copyright to be in place to get support.

Siirist

Tossing in a thought.

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines - content is copyright protected by {name of forum}
OR
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines | content copyright protected by {example.com}

In this manner the copyright for the SMF software is Primary and the copyright for the content is Secondary but present and therefore protecting the content.

EDIT: Rescinded

Once this copyright concern is resolved,
let us continue with the Original Topic - Linking FaceBook.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Kindred

Siirist,

first - you never need "protected by"

second... technically, all content is the intellectual property of the original author, unless the site agreement specifies that the author gies up, or shares the rights with the site owner.

third... the content of the site (not author written) is copyrighted by the site owner, with or without the copyright statement.

uamsameter,
"neatness"? you can make a neat looking footer without removing the SMF and portal copyrights...
Слaва
Украинi

uamsameter

As much as I understand the morality of giving credit to the SMF team for their excellent job over the years, I have a problem with the dictation of how to give credit.

It really feels like I'm being coreced to do it exactly the way you want it (with support as the instrument of threat). It feels morally wrong to me especially when you call it open source and the license says it is illegal.

Support or not, I'll give the credit (which is morally right), but I'm going to do it my way. "Designed by me using SMF"

d3vcho

You can do it your way, but that way is wrong. It's simple, we just require the original Copyright placed LEGIBLY in the forum. You can put your own copyright above the SMF copyright or whatever you want to do and you'll receive support, but the SMF (original) copyright must be placed there. That's all.

uamsameter

Well, I know what is wrong.
Not giving credit is wrong.
Insisting I must give credit in a stereotyped way is wrong.

The best I'll do is to make the SMF 2.0.11 in the footer a clickable link such that it leads to the SMF Credits page.
If that's not enough, well adios amigos

Illori

Quote from: uamsameter on September 24, 2016, 05:19:16 AM
If that's not enough, well adios amigos
no that is not enough to get support here by the SMF team. sorry.

Advertisement: