News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Yandex email provider this to work with SMF – Help needed for email settings

Started by Kiriakos GR, September 24, 2016, 05:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiriakos GR

My domain gets hosting by a server which this also hosting email and other sites.
I run in to problems because other hosted sites misuse email server and IP gets frequently bad reputation and emails get blocked by Google mail and barracuda network filters.
Webhosting Company this is small, and customers do not accept paying for new dedicated email server.

My solution was me to use Yandex (Russian Google) email for domain service, so for all my email communication of my domain only me to hold the responsibility.

Speaking of SMF 2.0.11 at  SMF-YourDomain»Administration Center »Mail »Settings

There are only two options.

a)   PHP default
b)   SMTP

While I did enter correct SMTP settings, and emails they get out from Browse Queue, nothing really arrives to the recipient.

smtp.yandex.com  using SSL.
SMF does not have such setting.
The best which I did regarding settings so far this is using in my settings ( smtp.yandex.com) and the SSL 465 port , among with username and password.

But it does not work as expected.

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: Illori on September 24, 2016, 05:37:03 AM
if they require ssl did you try ssl://smtp.yandex.com ?

Yes I did that, but no improvement.
Email send from  Browse Queue, I did receive confirmation from SMF, but nothing arrived at recipient.

Recipient it is my own email from ADSL line provider.
Configuration settings they do work,  I am using Outlook (MS Office small business)  and emails work both ways.

Kiriakos GR

I am still looking for a solution.

Yandex offer specific pages with tips.

At this page lower end, there is instructions ->  Note. If you want to send emails from other servers, these servers must be listed in the SPF record.

https://yandex.com/support/domain/records.xml

By assuming that I need to correct my DNS record, I did the changes.
Can some one verify that I did use the correct syntax in SPF?    v=spf1 ip4::0.0.00.000: include: _ spf.yandex.net ~all 

I need confirmation this is after :  v=spf1 ip4: ... if double dots needed before and after IP address.

Kiriakos GR

I spent hours searching and searching so to find out that  SMF forums engine does not support at all SSL encrypted emails   and therefore this forum engine does not qualify to have a connection with Gmail or yandex or what ever server this using SSL, which in 2016 this is almost a standard.

Therefore I do not see any other option than to totally disable all email forum activities, all email notifications from SMF and naturally this will make it a crippled forum engine.
It makes me wonder of why no one of the SMF developers did anything about it so far?

Right now I am totally in deep ******, not even new member registration this is possible. 

Kiriakos GR

Copy paste from my Error Log =>     2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to ssl://smtp.yandex.com:465 (Connection timed out)

Illori

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: Illori on September 25, 2016, 02:04:09 PM
who is your host? godaddy?

I am in Greece, but hosting this served currently by German servers.
My hosting company this offered to me another solution, my website and email server will be hosted in new servers in France.
Hosting relocation will happen this weekend. 

While Yandex email service this shown very reliable, I do corporate  PR, and in my email communications not even one email this get rejected (Yandex server enjoy high reputation among servers), I will stop using this service.

CoDTurkiye

My forum e-mail settings (working):

PHP
tls://smtp.yandex.com
[email protected]
your-yandex-mail-pass

Illori

if you are using php you are not sending using that mail server. you need to switch to smtp to use that.

Advertisement: