News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Custom Greeting on Pages When Not Logged In

Started by donw9876, September 24, 2016, 08:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donw9876

Hi -

I would like to add a feature to my SMF community (currently running 2.0.10) such that - the main page of the entire community would display a message of my choice when the visitor is not logged in, and perhaps a different message when they are.

It would also be nice if individual forum index pages could have their own custom not logged in message also.

How would I do this? I don't know where to start. I do know PHP, HTML and CSS so I'm educable. :) Is there a mod that does something like this? Or is there a way to inject my custom PHP into every page? Or would this be a code variation of an existing theme?

The idea is that I want a call to action message for visitors to register for the board.

I'm already using the custom headers and footers mod (to insert Google Analytics and some link munging code) and I tried to add PHP. It appears that the stuff in the custom header/footer content is simply inserted inline with no coding interpretation. (The < ? php wound up being rendered on the page like text or HTML.)

Thanks for helping me get started on this.

Advertisement: