Advertisement:

Author Topic: Re: SMF and PHP 7  (Read 17560 times)

Offline Suki

• SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
Re: Re: SMF and PHP 7
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 11:43:04 PM »
So,  you prefer to only contribute when things are great and rossy? That's good to know.

Another few contributors have stepped in recently,  they asked us and more importantly,  they have worked with us,  they have provided code,  fixed issues and overall they have made a fantastic work.  None of them were waiting for us to pamper them,  none of them were preaching about how much they know or how many times they offered us help.  They simply started working with us.  As simple as that.

True is, if you  really wanted to help,  you would have done so already labradodle. Yes,  the milestones are correct,  issues has been  reported rrecently on github too,  I already said your contributions will be accepted. The only thing left is actually contribute. But we both know you won't do that,  instead you will find yet another excuse and a other and another and so on.
I'm not a criminal.
I'm not a rapist.

Offline Matthew K.

• SMF Super Hero
    • matthew.kerle on Facebook
    • @matthew_kerle on Twitter
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 11:54:21 PM »
No, the only reason I wouldn't now is because the project manager is being a -snip- to me and my time is valuable, so I'd rather not put it somewhere where it's not appreciated.

-edit- Namecalling is not tolerated here.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:55:07 AM by CoreISP »

Offline Glyph

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 11:56:51 PM »
No, the only reason I wouldn't now is because the project manager is being a -snip- to me and my time is valuable, so I'd rather not put it somewhere where it's not appreciated.

Put aside the emotions and look at it logically.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:55:18 AM by CoreISP »
Personal TODO:

Offline Suki

• SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 12:03:10 AM »

And now you have used the "feel offended" card to op out .

I repeat,  your contributions will be gladly accepted anytime,  this is the third time I say it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:55:29 AM by CoreISP »
I'm not a criminal.
I'm not a rapist.

Offline Matthew K.

• SMF Super Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 12:05:33 AM »
Yeah, a software engineer has offered to knock out the remaining issues and has never been given any leads.

Put aside the emotions and look at it logically.

No, the only reason I wouldn't now is because the project manager is being a ****** to me and my time is valuable, so I'd rather not put it somewhere where it's not appreciated.

And now you have used the "feel offended" card to op out .

If telling you how other people have managed to work with us and contribute without any hassle is considering

Because you aren't handling your project professionally, or I could get you good developers. I have specific things I've wanted to do for you guys and none of them were addressed by Oldies.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:55:40 AM by CoreISP »

Offline Matthew K.

• SMF Super Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 12:07:35 AM »
You (MissAllSunday) also ignored my PM invitation to talk and sort this out.

Offline Suki

• SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 12:20:59 AM »
Again few contributors Did managed to do great things for us, they have been working with us rather nicely and things have been working out great lately.  They do not seem to have all the issues you have.  They also doesn't create as many excuses as you have.

I really am glad we are working with them,  it's been a real pleasure to work with people who actually does work and put their ideas and share their experiences and thoughts rather than keep talking about it.

You asked me if I have a Facebook account,  never talked about Sort things out.  Facebook isn't the correct place to do that anyway.

If you are willing to work with us,  please go ahead and open a new topic to discuss the things you would like to help with, as well as how and any other questions you may have.  I belive in open discussions so a new topic here would be the best way to start.

Thanks.
I'm not a criminal.
I'm not a rapist.

Offline Matthew K.

• SMF Super Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 12:27:29 AM »
Again few contributors Did managed to do great things for us, they have been working with us rather nicely and things have been working out great lately.  They do not seem to have all the issues you have.  They also doesn't create as many excuses as you have.

I really am glad we are working with them,  it's been a real pleasure to work with people who actually does work and put their ideas and share their experiences and thoughts rather than keep talking about it.

You asked me if I have a Facebook account,  never talked about Sort things out.  Facebook isn't the correct place to do that anyway.

If you are willing to work with us,  please go ahead and open a new topic to discuss the things you would like to help with, as well as how and any other questions you may have.  I belive in open discussions so a new topic here would be the best way to start.

Thanks.
I never knew you were so nasty, glad I know now. Not sure why you'd be so rude to someone who's tried to help for so many years.

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 12:40:08 AM »
Because we've seen what your "help" looks like?
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

Offline Suki

• SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 12:41:01 AM »
Nope,  not rude by any means,  I mean,  you were the one who called me a -snip-...

But that's OK,  I knew you will find an excuse to not doing any work,  pretending I was rude to you is an easy way out.

I'll say it again,  there are wonderful contributors whom have worked with us and things are going great,  I will never get tired of thanking them,  their code,  their ideas and their hard work and dedication have really made a huge difference and I'm glad to have the opportunity to work with them, side by side.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:56:07 AM by CoreISP »
I'm not a criminal.
I'm not a rapist.

Offline Matthew K.

• SMF Super Hero
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 12:45:52 AM »
The attitudes that you guys have are exactly why so few are around these days.

Offline Suki

• SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 12:56:24 AM »
The attitudes that you guys have are exactly why so few are around these days.

We're OK  BTW,  many people has come and go,  tthat's what happens on a volunteer organization.  Right now there's  wonderful bunch of doers doing work.  Looking forward to keep working hard with them.

I'm sorry your ego and pride doesn't let you see and appreciate all the hard work many people has done for SMF. 
I'm not a criminal.
I'm not a rapist.

Offline benoit.delerce

Re: SMF and PHP 7
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 06:49:03 AM »
Hello everyone,

My web host plans to remove PHP5 in January 2017.

The developement of a compatibility patch for PHP 7 (like patch for PHP 5.5) is planned before January 2017 ?

I reminds SMF 2.0.7 is not a security release but an update to brings full compatibility for PHP 5.5

It would be nice to offer the same for PHP 7.0, as SMF 2.1 will not be released until few month.

Benoît

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
I doubt it. It's not a small change.
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

Offline 青山 素子

• Server Team
  • SMF Super Hero
  • 戦場ヶ原、蕩れ!
    • srvrguy on GitHub
    • @motokochan on Twitter
    • Nekomusume Moe
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »
My web host plans to remove PHP5 in January 2017.

Wow, that's pretty quick. I can see removing 5.5, as it's EOL, but 5.6 is still actively supported.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Just because it's pouring down doesn't mean we're gonna drown. There's a time when all you can say is let it rain - Mat Kearney (Let It Rain)

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Offline equinoxmatt

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »

Thanks.
I never knew you were so nasty, glad I know now. Not sure why you'd be so rude to someone who's tried to help for so many years.

Funny that,  I managed to help recently with a small contribution.  All you do is you download the code from github,  make your change and submit a pull request.  But the thing is, it takes more than words,  which from the sounds of it you fail to do.

Could the SMF team be a bit more 'open'?  Yes I believe they could.  Could they be a little bit less defensive?  Possibly.  That still doesn't stop you contributing though.  I plan to get some more contributions done when my times free's up again.

Offline jvter

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »
Hm, just got a message from my host. They are moving on to PHP7..........They also will remove SMF as an installable package because of that.

Does that MOD really makes SMF PHP7 compatible? Is t worth trying or can I completely destroy everything when using it? (BTW I cannot find that MOD when using PHP7 in a search, so where to find it....)

Offline d3vcho

• Localizer
  • Sophist Member
    • d3vcho on GitHub
    • @SMF_ES on Twitter
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »
Hm, just got a message from my host. They are moving on to PHP7..........They also will remove SMF as an installable package because of that.

Does that MOD really makes SMF PHP7 compatible? Is t worth trying or can I completely destroy everything when using it? (BTW I cannot find that MOD when using PHP7 in a search, so where to find it....)

Hello!

I've never tried that Mod and if your try, do it under your own risk. Of course, always save a backup before doing any major change like this. And as for the Mod, I won't provide you any links as I think that isn't a Mod published in the Customization Site. Do a search by yourself.

Regarding your host; are you using their installer to install SMF? We do not recommend using host installers as they can modify the files as they like and that might cause problems in the future... By the way, they are moving to PHP 7 in all their plans? Can't you take a normal hosting with PHP5?

If you think you'll have problems, move from host... I'd do so.

Regards :)
Programmer (noun.)
A person who fixed a problem you don't know you have, in a way you don't understand.

¡Únete al canal IRC de SMF en español! #smf-es en Freenode
Sigue a @SMF_ES en Twitter para enterarte de todas las novedades de SMF

Offline Illori

• Project Manager
  • SMF Master
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3469

this mod does the basics required to get SMF to work with mysqli which is one of the major issues with php 7.

Offline shawnb61

• Charter Member
    • sbulen on GitHub
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 12:15:46 PM »
It is **FAR** too early to be forcing folks to jump from php 5.x to php 7.   Hopefully, it is just a matter of the host offering it as an option.   

If they are truly making it a requirement, when most of the planet is still cautiously thinking about making the jump from 5.4 to 5.6, I would dump that host.  Such a move is capricious and disruptive, IMHO.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp