News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Weird Permission situation

Started by ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ, September 29, 2016, 10:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Okay, so this is probably simple and I'm over looking something.. here it goes.

Well, I want a board to only let a certain member group (and all admins of course) start topics, but I want everyone else to be able to reply and see the board like normal.

Is this possible with the standard permission system?

Thanks.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

br360

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

I'm on latest release, just updated yesterday.

Reading content of your link now.

SMF 2.0 RC5

br360

Ok, this is the 2.1 support board so since latest release is currently 2.0.12, I am moving to the 2.0 support board :)

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

I read the post and the wiki link, but I don't get what I need to change to achieve what I want to do.

I want membergroup1 to be able to post in this board, but nobody else, but I still need all other groups to be able to see and reply to these posts.

SMF 2.0 RC5

br360

Ok, here is a copy and paste from my post on that topic, edited a bit to better explain what you want to do-

1).Go to Admin>Permissions>Edit Profiles

2).Once there you will see a list of all of the profiles that came with your smf install (default, no polls, reply only, etc.) Below that you will see the "New Profile" section. Where you see Profile name, type in the name of the new profile you want to create ("special board" for example)

3). Then copy permissions from one of the other profiles, (I use default personally but that's up to you) then hit the create tab.

4). Once that is done, you can now go to the board you want to have special permissions (where only admins and a specific member group can post new topics, but everyone else can reply to posts of those topics). Admin>Forum>Boards>Modify Boards

5). Find the board you want to modify and click the modify link to the right of it. Scroll down until you see Permission Profile: and it should probably say default with a drop down list. Click the arrow to the right and you will also now see your new profile you created. Choose that and then scroll to the bottom and click the modify tab.

6). Now click on the permissions link to the board you just modified to use the new profile. You should now see a list of all your member groups. You are going to have to click on each group to change the permissions of that group for that one specific board. It will already have the default permissions that you copied over but now you can change the permissions to what you want that member group to have for the specific board.

7). The important ones to achieve what you are looking for are the "Post new topics, without requiring approval" and "Post replies to topics, without requiring approval" make sure those are checked for the member group you want to be able to post new topics and be able to post replies on topics. For the other member groups that you do NOT want to be able to post new topics, make sure "Post new topics, without requiring approval" and "Post new topics, but hide until approved" is NOT checked for those groups, but make sure that "Post replies to topics, without requiring approval" is checked for them.

Setting those permissions like that for the specific board you are looking to change will allow a specific membergroup to post new topics and reply to them, while the other memebergroups you don't want to be able to post new topics, will only be able to reply to new topics in that specific board

The rest of the permissions like polls, delete own topics, view attachments, etc. can be checked or unchecked as you decide.

You are going to have to do this for each member group (including guests), but that's basically it. You now have a new permission profile with specific permissions for that board

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Okay, but the thing is, I want the topic to be seen by everybody, I just only want one membergroup to be able to start new topics, everyone else is only allowed to reply is what I want to achieve.
I don't want all topic to have to be approved, I just want only one membergroup allowed to start new topics in this board.

Will these instructions do this for me?

SMF 2.0 RC5

br360

Post new topics without requiring approval and Post replies to topics without requiring approval just means that members can post topics and/or replies without a moderator needing to approve it.

If you set the permissions exactly like the directions above, every one will be able to see every post on that board (unless you have your board set so that guests cannot see your forum of course). The only difference is that the membergroup you allow to post topics and replies to topics on that board will be able to post new topics and replies- while the group you allow to post new replies, will only be able to post new replies to topics posted (they will not have a post new topic button when looking at any topics in that board, but once a new topic is posted, they will see a reply tab to that topic)

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Got it.

I've used SMF for years and I know their permission system is a little complicated, but very powerful. I should have known better, but I forgot, lol.
There we go, it's done, working like a charm, thanks a lot, you're doing a great job in support, enjoy your day.

SMF 2.0 RC5

br360

Thanks and glad you got it working.

On a side note; I've used some of your mods you have created over the years so I wanted to appreciate you for making some really cool ones. :)

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Yea, thanks, I'm glad you liked them, I'm so rusty now, I need to get back in shape, now I find myself at w3schools, like every single project I do, however, I don't generate parse errors, lol :)

SMF 2.0 RC5

Advertisement: