News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

What should the file permissions be?

Started by jjsmith, September 30, 2016, 01:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjsmith

Hi

When accessing menu item:  Admin > Main > Package Manager > File Permissions

What should the permissions be for the listed files/folders?

Several files and folders are listed, and the current permission status is listed for each.  However there is only one comment that the 'attachments' folder needs to be writable to use that functionality.  But there isn't anything that states what the status should be for the other items, and the online manual doesn't mention that either.

The items that show are all in my boards root folder:
(files)
agreement.txt
Settings.php
(folders )
attachments
cache
Smileys
Sources
Themes
Packages

Thanks,
Josh

Sir Osis of Liver

Directories - 755   Files - 644 

Works in most host configurations.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

jjsmith

Thanks for the quick reply, but ...

What led me here in the first place was that I was installing a mod (via Admin > Packages > Download Packages - then upload zip file from my pc) - and I got an error saying that the Packages and the temp folder need to be writable:

Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

So do I need to change that when I'm installing a mod?

Thanks
Josh

br360

Were you trying to install a mod from github or through the smf mod site?

Sir Osis of Liver

/Packages is usually set to 755 by default when forum is installed.  If it's not writeable, you'll have to reset permissions. 
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

jjsmith

I was uploading the .zip file from my local pc harddrive - so ...

- Admin > Main > Package Manager > Downlaod Packages
- then tried to upload the zip file via the "Package to Upload" section

That gave the error

Illori

do you have a temp and backup folder in the packages folder?

jjsmith

yep - got both temp and backup folders in the Packages folder, and all three folders are set to 777 permissions

Illori

jjsmith

No - 755 didn't work either - but 777 includes 'writable' for both group and other, so if 777 didn't work then 755 probably would either.

With 755, i get the following error:

Package upload failed due to the following error:
"The package you are trying to install cannot be located. You may want to manually upload the package to your Packages directory."

Also - I have manually uploaded the zip file, as well as uploading the extracted zip folder, but in neither case did the mod show up in  "Admin > Main > Packages > Browse".

jjsmith

ummm - user error .... one of those "doh" moments ... ::)

I'm loathe to admit it ... I was installing a theme as a mod - sheesh ...

Thanks for your replies - and sorry to take up y'alls' time!

Advertisement: