News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Blank message error

Started by alex1234, October 01, 2016, 11:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex1234

Hi, guys

I have updated my forum from SMF 2.0.11 to SMF 2.0.12 and now a problem with creating/editng topics. When I want to create/edit the old topics and click on preview/post it gives me error like : ,,your message is blank,, However, it is not blank....

Thanks

Illori

if there is a bbc that is not closed correctly or has no content in it, this error will happen.

alex1234

Illori, you are always the first one who replies me. You are the man of glory!!!
But it was ok before. This thing has started after upgrading to  SMF 2.0.12  :-[

alex1234

I had to do rollback to the previous version and now it is ok. It looks like buggy released patch. It takes much time to fix it. I forgot the important thing..... never update your system with a new released patch/updates. It is better to wait .. The same thing happens with windows 10

Kindred

actually, the BBC issue that you encountered is not a bug.  you are going to have to fix your BBC usage and make sure to close BBC tags
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

this is the expected behavior as i explained. check your bbc tags for one that is left open or empty. you should never revert back to a prior version as that leaves you open to any issues that were patched.

alex1234

Thank you Ilori & Kindred.
I know it is always recommended to use the latest updates/patches.... But you see there is a special member group called ,,forum posters, on my forum. Everyday they post news/programs and other things creating the new topics. After upgrading to smf 2.0.12 they have started to ask me why they can't edit or create the topics. It is really annoying to explain them how to use bbc codes in right way. So, i decided to revert back to a prior version.

alex1234

As always I don't want to start a new topic. So I keep asking here. As mentioned before I had
to revert back to a prior version. Now there is not smileys in shoutbox. I can see them and even choose to send. But they are not appeared as supposed to be.... just like  :-*, :).....
Can you teach me, how to fix this issue? It was ok before upgrading to smf 2.0.12... But after reverting back to the 2.0.11 have gone

Kindred

Sounds like your upgrade and reversion was not complete in one or more aspects...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

alex1234

Thanks. I think it is better to forget about this problem with smileys in shoutbox. Our users very seldom use it. So, I will disable it. Maybe, one day I will be more experienced to solve such issues. Two months ago I didn't even know how to enter the admin panel  :P

Thanks to everybody for help and viewing my topic. I am closing this topic. Soon or later I will have to open a new topic asking for your help

FragaCampos

Hi there.

I'm using this same page, because I'm having this exact error.

Since I've upgraded to 2.0.12, this is happening now and then, and I assure you that all tags are correctly closed in the affected topics.

For example, right now, I can't post this piece of text:

Important note: I can't post it here either(!), so can anyone tell me what's the problem with this text? (file attached)

aegersz

I downloaded it to my S7 phone and opened it with a viewer and copied it onto my forum.

apart from float and justify, it displays correctly on preview.

I hope this helps ... I'm at 2.0.11
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

yeah, it won't post here so it's related to the 2.0.12 update - it works fine on my 2.0.11 system.

i don't have float and justify BBCodes, so that explains that.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Shambles

Part 1: Americas
As early humans spread out across the world, their toughest challenge was colonizing the Americas — because a huge ice sheet blocked the route. It has long been thought that the pioneers, known as Clovis people, arrived about 13,000 years ago, but an underwater discovery in Mexico suggests people arrived earlier than previously thought — and by boat, not on foot. How closely related were these First Americans to today's Native Americans? It's a controversial matter, focused on Kennewick Man. Few other skeletons engender such strong feelings.

Part 2: Africa
Around 200,000 years ago, a new species, Homo sapiens, appeared on the African landscape. While scientists have imagined eastern Africa as a real-life Garden of Eden, the latest research suggests humans evolved in many places across the continent at the same time. DNA from a 19th-century African-American slave is forcing geneticists to re-think the origins of our species. The theory is that our ancestors met, mated and hybridized with other human types in Africa — creating ever greater diversity within our species.

Part 3: Asia
What happened when early humans ventured out of Africa and into Asia? Where did they go and whom did they meet along the way? The latest evidence suggests they left far earlier than previously thought and interbred with other types of ancient human - Homo erectus, Neanderthals and also the Denisovans, whose existence was established only five years ago when geneticists extracted DNA from a tiny fragment of finger bone. Because these ancient humans mated with our ancestors, their genes have found a home in our DNA. More than that, they've helped us survive and thrive.

Part 4: Australia
When Homo sapiens arrived in Australia, they were, for the first time, truly alone, surrounded by wildly different flora and fauna. How did they survive and populate a continent? There is a close cultural and genetic link between the First Australians and modern-day Aborigines. The ancient and modern story intersect here as nowhere else in the world. The secret to this continuity is diversity. Intuitively, they found the right balance between being separate and connected.

Part 5: Europe
When Homo sapiens turned up in prehistoric Europe, they ran into the Neanderthals. The two types of human were similar enough to interbreed — and both created artifacts of similar complexity. But as more and more Homo sapiens moved into Europe, the balance of power shifted. Neanderthals were overwhelmed. Ever since, we've had Europe and the rest of the world to ourselves.

Shambles

Had to put a period between the tables (obviously the "float" and "justify" bbcodes aren't available on sm.org) but you can see it works around the known issue, which has been reported recently.

Also required on my 2.0.12 system, otherwise it reports an empty post.

FragaCampos

Sorry, Shambles, I didn't understand. You're saying this is a known issue in 2.0.12 version?

Shambles

Well, this is someone else's solved topic so you could read the above posts, or check others, for example:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=549031.0

FragaCampos

Ok, thanks. I was reading other topics about this issue after you mentioning the problem.

I've reverted to 2.0.11 and the problems went away. Let's hope 2.0.13 comes out soon.

Regards.

Advertisement: