News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Should you tell your banned members that they'd been banned?

Started by Biology Forums, October 10, 2016, 12:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

I think a good strategy to prevent blow back after a ban is by not telling them they've been banned. Do you think admins should tweak the default error message that comes stock for banned users?

Irisado

I disagree.  It's courteous to inform members that they have been banned and it's also courteous to explain why.  Banned members returning under a new guise is usually very easy to spot, since they cannot, in the vast majority of cases, change their personality and behaviour sufficiently to be able to avoid being identified and banned again.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

aegersz

we have a thread that explains all banned non-spamming member bans.

"getting complaints from other members" is my best reason ... attempted solicitation of contraband is our most usual, as is being an ar****le.

yes, transparency is really appreciated by the membership.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: