News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

ntpd just implemented but I have some questions

Started by aegersz, October 10, 2016, 02:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

I set the correct zone for my server as instructed prior to installing ntpd -- I see the right timr and date on my SMF user screen BUT the day seems to start in the middle of the day and my offset is -12 ! ( i am only 3 hours ahead in my country when compared to the server country).

date and ntpdate are correct and I'm baffled.

AND I just realised that I have configured the server in SMF to my country and not the server's SO is it ok to change it on the fly ?

I'm just missing some important facts as before ntpd, I set the time manually with 'date' and everything seemed correct ... but I need the stability that ntpd provides.

what's going on ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

青山 素子

Is your server's timezone set correctly? What about the timezone you set in php.ini?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

aegersz

yes, the timezone is correct (i can see it when i issue the 'date' command)

i didn't know about php.ini and i expected that i could leave it alone. the server time shows the correct local time.

does SMF get it's time from different places ?

i changed the Server timezone in Features and Options and the offset is -15 !

still confused !
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

青山 素子

SMF has two offset settings. The first is a global setting that allows the forum administrator to set a default time for the forum that may be different than "server time". For instance, the server may be set to UTC, but the forum owner wants to use the time for CET as the default display time.

Additionally, each user can set their own offset to make the dates and times when logged in reflect their local time.

-15 is pretty big. That's half a day and three hours, which is more than the usual offset you'd need to make things look right. The only case I can think of for that is the user timezone and the server timezone being on completely different ends of the globe. If that's the global offset, maybe you should set it to 0 and then determine how many hours need to be added or subtracted to make it display what you want.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

aegersz

Thanks, i set the global offset to 0 and it's now making sense.

my own Profile offset is now 3 as expected ... i just don't know why it was set to -12.

thanks for your help.

Advertisement: