News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Blank page since 2.0.12

Started by TourFL, October 14, 2016, 09:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TourFL

Hello everybody,

Last thing I did on the forum, is to upgrade to SMF 2.0.12 on 4th of October. Now I got 2 blank screens in 2 days.
When opening the forum yesterday, only a white/blank page appears. Refreshing multiple time doesn't do anything.

I manage to restore access by emptying the cache directory, but It just happened again today (so cleaned again the cache, and it worked fine).
I have no errors in my logs  :-\

Any idea where it could come from?
And is there a way to clean regularly the cache, in a automatic way?

Thanks for any help!
If you like Fiat 500 and derived models, the SMF forum I'm helping with: www.500-126.com

Siirist

Quote from: TourFL on October 14, 2016, 09:45:45 AM
Hello everybody,

Last thing I did on the forum, is to upgrade to SMF 2.0.12 on 4th of October. Now I got 2 blank screens in 2 days.
When opening the forum yesterday, only a white/blank page appears. Refreshing multiple time doesn't do anything.

I manage to restore access by emptying the cache directory, but It just happened again today (so cleaned again the cache, and it worked fine).
I have no errors in my logs  :-\

Any idea where it could come from?

Have you looked in the Online Manual, What the white screen of death means / Why Do I See a White Page and Not the Error Itself?

Have you run repair settings?
Online Manual > FAQs > Repair Settings

Cache is stored locally on YOUR computer or other electronic wireless device, therefore, it cannot be automatically cleaned from SMF. There may be a way to set your wireless electronic device to automatically clear its cache.

Kindly,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Illori

if you mean the SMF cache on the server in the cache folder, it is rebuilt over time so it should never require to be cleared manually.

TourFL

Thanks for your help.
Sorry for late answer.

To answer Illori, yes, I'm talking about the server cache. I guess Siirist was talking about the local cache.
When there is white screen, none of the member can see anything, it's not local.

Yes, I already checked the manual and check the repair_settings, but none of those helped, because as I mentioned in my first post, there are absolutely no error loggued, and just emptying the cache directory (on the server) solves the problem.

For now, I found a workaround by setting my forum cache level to "no cache" in the adminstration page (server configuration). It's avoiding the problem, but is not a durable solution  :-\

I'm not sure the server cache directory will automatically clean/rebuilt himself if nobody is able to access the forum, so without manual cleaning, the forum is blocked.

So I still don't understand how cache got corrupted in such a way that it blocks access to the forum.
If you like Fiat 500 and derived models, the SMF forum I'm helping with: www.500-126.com

Matthew K.

This is probably the known issue with SMF 2.0.12. Hopefully they release a new patch soon to address this issue.

tethead

Just reporting that we had the same issue, exactly as TourFL states.  Our server is hosted remotely and they told me that it was getting stuck loading on the ~/Cache folder, so we got rid of that and created a new one, and it loaded without a problem.  I only updated to .12 earlier this week, so the problem manifested pretty quickly. 

Let me know if you need any further information about our configuration to figure out what's happening... 
week4paug.net - a website for all things PHiSH

Kindred

there is a known issue with the 2.0.12 file caching system
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

taysan

Perhaps this is why the ShoutBox in Simple Portal stops working properly with the 2.0.12 update.

aegersz

Exactly. My SP Shoutbox doesn't load shouts on 2.0.12
*eagerly awaits 2.0.13 bugfix*

Turning caching off in Shoutbox fixes it, temporarily.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

TourFL

On my forum, it didn't happend anymore since I disabled the cache in the admin parameters  ;)

aegersz

Disabling the cache is not the ideal solution but if I have to then I will just do so in the Simple Portal component only.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: