News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

spam attack

Started by Mr Edd, October 15, 2016, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Edd

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

My forum is undergoing a spam attack. I am on vacation and only have my cell phone.
How can I stop this please,

I will not be home until Monday and I have no idea how to stop it either by phone or when I can get on my computer.
Here is the link...
http://http://www.deadgooey.co.uk/forum/index.php

Any help please and rather urgent
Thanks

Edd

I'd be Dyslectic if I could spell ti

d3vcho

Hello! Sorry about that...

You can have a look at this: Spam - my forum is flooded with spam, what can I do

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Mr Edd

Quote from: d3vcho on October 15, 2016, 05:36:25 AM
Hello! Sorry about that...

You can have a look at this: Spam - my forum is flooded with spam, what can I do

Regards :)

Thank you.
I have implimented the suggestions in the link. The spamming seems to have stopped, not sure for how long?
Can anyone suggest how to bulk delete all the spam posts and users? Please remember I am restricted to just my cell phone at the moment.

Thanks
Edd

Kindred

Not really easy from a cell phone...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mr Edd

Quote from: Kindred on October 15, 2016, 08:45:39 AM
Not really easy from a cell phone...

Yeah... tell me about it (8-)
Could you please explain anyway and I can refrence it once I find a WiFi connection on my laptop.

Thanks
Edd

Kindred

Switch your moderation option to use checkboxes, in your profile

Then you can bulk select and delete threads...

Then go into the admin memberlist
There you can bulk select and delete users
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

or go into each users profile and delete the account and posts/topics. might take a bit longer but may clean things up faster then deleting each post if the users still exist.

Mr Edd

Quote from: Illori on October 15, 2016, 09:28:07 AM
or go into each users profile and delete the account and posts/topics. might take a bit longer but may clean things up faster then deleting each post if the users still exist.

Ive been doing this piecemeal on my phone but as there are over 800 of them it could take a while. I need to delete the users and their posts at the same time.  Is this possible to do in bulk?

Thanks for the help.

Edd

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Mr Edd

Quote from: Kindred on October 15, 2016, 08:58:20 AM
Switch your moderation option to use checkboxes, in your profile

Then you can bulk select and delete threads...

Then go into the admin memberlist
There you can bulk select and delete users

Thank you so much.  I did exactly as you said and now all the spam and false accounts are gone.  I have set ten questions which will randomly pick three for each registration. I set the Captcha to medium too. I would appreciate any other suggestions to stop this behavior again.

I feel very confident now and hope I didn't lose to many members during this period.  Now back home and on my laptop as trying to deal with this on a cell phone was a nightmare.

Thanks again.

Edd

Mr Edd

Hope this is okay...

It is part of the original post.

As said I have now got rid of all the spam and the 800 users that created an account.  I am left with 18 Guests still with the same ip address which look like they are browsing the forum. They have been here for at least 4 days.  How can I get rid of these guests.  I can tell which are legit guests by their IP address but these 18 are persistent with the same IP.

How can I get rid of these?  I thought they may have dropped off by now.

Edd

Kindred

I wouldn't worry about them...    you're going to get that sort of thing all the time. If they are just guests, then there really is no issue (and heck, they might be spiders)

If it really concerns you, then look into how to add an IP DENY line in your .htaccess file
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: