How to handle CHILD BOARDS / SUB BOARDS

Started by SMiFFER, October 17, 2016, 11:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

First of all, let me mention that I find the term "child"-boards misleading. That should be named "sub"-boards as in every other BBS or forum I have gotten used to over the years.

1)
Is there a way to NOT have the sub-boards displayed at all, i.e. hide them from display?

2)
I am currently trying out "Tidy Child Boards" - are there other ways that you guys can recommend?

Off to try it out...
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Arantor

In 2.1 they are named sub boards.

As for hiding the boards, why would you want to, unless you have too many boards where people can't find anything anyway?

Siirist

Quote from: SMiFFER on October 17, 2016, 11:05:20 AM
First of all, let me mention that I find the term "child"-boards misleading. That should be named "sub"-boards as in every other BBS or forum I have gotten used to over the years.

1)
Is there a way to NOT have the sub-boards displayed at all, i.e. hide them from display?

2)
I am currently trying out "Tidy Child Boards" - are there other ways that you guys can recommend?

Off to try it out...

I can think of two (2) reasons to "hide" a Child/Sub board:

1) I assign a particular membergroup to that board, for example "staff members"

2) I can use the "hide / invisibility" to offer (paid or not paid) subscriptions to members (that are assigned to a special member group)

Other than that, I agree with Arantor

Kindly,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Sir Osis of Liver

index.english.php

$txt['parent_boards'] = 'Child Boards';

Change it to 'Sub Boards'.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Siirist,

that's not what he's asking about...

he wants the board VISIBLE/ACCESSIBLE to users.... just not listed.

Which is a silly thing to do, as Arantor points out.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SMiFFER

Quote from: Arantor on October 17, 2016, 11:25:29 AM
In 2.1 they are named sub boards.
Good to know. Looking forward!

Quote from: Arantor on October 17, 2016, 11:25:29 AMAs for hiding the boards, why would you want to, unless you have too many boards where people can't find anything anyway?
Exactly that is the reason. => overview.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Kindred

then you have too many boards and shouldn't split things up so much
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SMiFFER

The fun aside, I would still like to have a way of configuring to NOT show them.

Kindred

there is no way, unless you modify the template code
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

Quote from: Steve on October 17, 2016, 03:32:26 PM
You can't hide them with permissions?

that does not do what is requested. they want them still to be able to access but not on the board index.

br360

SMiFFER

Quote from: Illori on October 17, 2016, 03:51:25 PM
Quote from: Steve on October 17, 2016, 03:32:26 PM
You can't hide them with permissions?
that does not do what is requested. they want them still to be able to access but not on the board index.
Finally someone who sticks with the topic. Good!

Quote from: br360 on October 17, 2016, 05:14:03 PM
This mod will remove the sub boards from the index- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2864
Very good! Thanks for the link.
Downloaded it just now!

Thanks again, you two!

Arantor

Sticking with the topic is t always good. It promotes a culture where nothing is discussed and bad ideas propagate.

Advertisement: