News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Thinking of removing the arcade

Started by Biology Forums, October 17, 2016, 11:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Are browsers still supporting Firefox? I'm thinking of removing the arcade from our community. It has far less hits than it did last year around this time.

nend

If it is flash base, then that explains the decline as most browsers have removed flash support.

I have a few flash games in my arcade also, soon they'll be put in the out of order section.

Matthew K.

I reached out to a company that develops HTML5 / JavaScript based games to see if they'd grant me a reseller license essentially so I could package them up in an SMF Arcade modification, but I never heard back from them unfortunately.

nend

Here's one of the options I use.
https://accounts.famobi.com/

The games don't have high score support but they are HTML5 and responsive. Registration is required and you will become a publisher eligible for revenue earning, which isn't much, but IMHO they didn't even have to offer that.

However the games are subjected to how long they stay in business. So I wouldn't count on it being a permanent solution as they offer a iframe embed only solution. Downloading the games and hosting them yourself is a violation of the terms, everyone has to protect their content these days.

You also have the option to create a game portal with their games on it and a custom subdomain of your choice off from one of their domains.

I also found a few HTML5 games on GitHub and other places, which I uploaded to folders then link them in the appropriate post (My whole arcade is forum/permission based).

Moral, flash games are dead and possibly the way of hosting games.

vbgamer45

Yeah I have them all on my forum hosting system.
http://support.createaforum.com/index.php?action=arcade

The issue for them they have to grant permission for each site and they are not very responsive.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Looking

Sad that flash has to end this way. The HTML 5 replacement is still young.

Biology Forums

Opps: I meant to say, are browsers still supporting "flash" (it's yes and no)

Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 18, 2016, 09:17:10 AM
http://support.createaforum.com/index.php?action=arcade

Don't see them anywhere :-\

I've decided to wait for flash to become EOL before I transition to an arcade-less forum. I like the idea of having HTML-5 games with the ability to save scores, etc. I think that's what brings users back, getting emails that your score it no longer the highest, etc.

Looking

They are but you have to manually install, it does not come as default.

landyvlad

so vbgamer - how did you go about hosting all those games?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

vbgamer45

Didnt' really work. The site I was using for the html5 games was overseas and were not good at communication so couldn't get them to do anything after numerous emails.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Biology Forums

So it's pretty much a useless mod moving forward.

My analytics for the arcade show a decline.

vbgamer45

I would suggest removing it now that flash is dead.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: