How do we get rid of the annoying verification?!

Started by Fenderen, October 20, 2016, 08:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenderen

Seriously - been using this forum for like 5 minutes and the Verification is already killing me. EVERY time I want to post a reply to a topic I have to go through the verification. IT TAKES AGES AND IS ANNOYING!  >:(
The future belongs to the curious. The ones who are not afraid to try it, explore it, poke at it, question it and turn it inside out.

Illori

sorry it is all we have at this time to try to combat spammers. it will go away after a few more valid posts. your post count does not increase if you post in chit chat.

Fenderen

Oh really? It will take me ages to get through this? How many posts am I supposed do make before I can avoid it?
The future belongs to the curious. The ones who are not afraid to try it, explore it, poke at it, question it and turn it inside out.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

10 posts in boards where posts count.

Sometimes admins do bump post counts to bypass this.

tinswap

i am new here and this is pissing me off already too.

TemplateJuggler

I saw that too, but it was not the verification that frustrated me, but the difficulty of the captcha. I usually had to spend few seconds on each character to be able to figure out what are they. Then when I finally hit the Post, it turned out it was not right. I think I will not see that anymore, but still, SMF's captcha is too difficult to read in my opinion.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

TemplateJuggler

Yes, I especially like the one where I only need to click on a checkbox.

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Kindred

except, recaptcha depends on a 3rd party service  which can (and has) change(d) without notice... and thus violates the precept that SMF is coherent in an of itself.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

live627

Colin

Quote from: Kindred on December 10, 2016, 05:45:49 PM
except, recaptcha depends on a 3rd party service  which can (and has) change(d) without notice... and thus violates the precept that SMF is coherent in an of itself.

Why is it a bad thing to use a free API for something that does its job better than proprietary technology?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Illori

Quote from: Colin on December 10, 2016, 06:40:11 PM
Why is it a bad thing to use a free API for something that does its job better than proprietary technology?

when it changes it and then the mod has to be updated as it is now broken and the very few people here that can update the code have busy lives so it can take time.

Kindred

Because, if we include it in the core product, then we have to release an update version in order to,patch any changes...  we ran into this alreayd with paypal...   and you have seen the delyas in getting the 2.0.13 release out the door...   when a third party system changes or breaks, we have to update EVERYONE ASAP....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Colin

Oh sorry I wasn't clear. I was suggesting we use the mod on this site, not include the functionality in the core.

However, the urgent update issue should go away with proper API versioning (which google recapatcha implements)

Colin

Kindred

and yet, time and again, third parties have proven unreliable in that regards.

Also, if we install a MOD here, then people will ask "Why can't I have this in the core product, since it's part of the main system"

In reality, the best option is NO CAPTCHA at all -- get 2.1 released and use the questions feature with the multiple answers and multiple language support - because THAT *IS* a core feature.
Слaва
Украинi

live627

QuoteAlso, if we install a MOD here, then people will ask "Why can't I have this in the core product, since it's part of the main system"
Highly skeptical - proof?

Kindred

Experience...

Be skeptical all you want. People believe that this forum represents the core product... which is why we work our best to keep it as the core product.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: