News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

What this Means?

Started by chamacao, October 20, 2016, 04:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

those are backup files, that is from when you have installed a mod. that is completely normal.

chamacao

Thanks Illori. So I guess they can be deleted?

I'll be proceeding to try to save this thing.

But, after reading these people problems and experiences it is obvious that 1and1 is not going to help. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/1and1.html

Would it be best just to download the SQL databases and just setup in another hosting company? Are these SQL database "importable" to other host providers.? or should I just try to save it in there now and them backup and move.

I think there is a big problem in my webspace. All the files are the same size as the SMF original version. I can not see any additional file.

The original server error 500's just got cover up with access denied headings and "blaming it on a virus attack".

Thanks for helping and putting up with me. This is not a SMF problem at all.
This is a bad hosting Company and I should have follow the joke.

"Jesus and the Devil were tested to see who's fastest at data entry. After furiously entering data into a spreadsheet for almost two hours, the power went out. The Devil started tearing his hair out in despair and cursing like mad. Jesus just sat calmly and smiled benevolently. The Devil asked him, don't you care you lost your stuff because of this power outage? Jesus mildly replied: "Jesus saves."

So should have I.!!!

Illori

Quote from: chamacao on October 22, 2016, 05:27:31 PM

Would it be best just to download the SQL databases and just setup in another hosting company? Are these SQL database "importable" to other host providers.?

yes the database can be moved. most hosts will move it over for you without a charge. just be sure to let them know you may be a victim of a hack so they are aware of why you are changing hosts and some may also help you check to see if any of the files have been modified.

be sure if you do backup the database you use phpmyadmin or a backup from your hosts control panel.

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't worry about the forum files, unless you had a lot of customization, they're not important, and most likely infected.  You'll be doing a clean install on new host, where you can reinstall mods and themes.  The database contains all your content - member info, topics, posts, settings, etc.  Host cpanel backups are usually sql or gzip files, and can be imported into the new database you'll create when you install SMF on new host.  I would also do backups with phpmyadmin, just in case.  Empty your logs, especially error log, before backing up database.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

chamacao

One last thing before I go and ruin everything.
Thanks for your help.

Steve

Let us know how you get on. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

yes, the php~ files are SMF backups taken every time a mod is installed.

Basically, virus scans scan executables, etc... since php files are just text files until they are run on a server which runs the php compiler, they would probably not show up as "infected" from a standard virus scanner.

and, although some of the SMF files may be compromised by hacked code, it is the extra directories, often buried 6 and 7 levels deep that often contain the serious back doors...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on October 22, 2016, 08:45:47 PM
Basically, virus scans scan executables, etc... since php files are just text files until they are run on a server which runs the php compiler, they would probably not show up as "infected" from a standard virus scanner.

actually virus scanners do scan the contents of files. i have had issues downloading infected files attached on sm.org over the years as my virus scanner told me it was infected.

Kindred

hmmm....  ok. interesting. I have never seen the virus scanner twitch at php files.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

chamacao

Well, I'm stuck trying to delete all installations to replace  for new ones. I already back them all up.

Now, Using the FTP Files do not delete. To what do I need to change permission on these files?
Thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

Use your cpanel file manager to delete the files.

- R. Waters

chamacao

My Goodness. Today thanks to you I discovered that I have a Webspace Explorer that will allow me to move files, delete and all that jazz.

I already deleted them by changing to 200 the file rights. They are all gone. Now to put up the new ones. I hope that is what you meant by cpanel. I see there is also a program by that name name but they don't use that at 1and1.

However the hack effect continues.... for instance all the WP websites look fine on the frontend but at the administration side no luck. I can not even get in. For example

http://southbridgegas.com/  Looks great
http://southbridgegas.com/wp-admin/   error 500

aegersz

warning: OFF-TOPIC !

Quote from: chamacao on October 22, 2016, 02:20:38 AM

My liver went out at 15 with hepatitis and at 26 with cirrhosis. No more of that for me.

Wow, that's rough !

... carry on.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you get SMF up and running?  Not familiar with WP, can you access server logs and see what's triggering the error?  Or you could ask your host.

- R. Waters

chamacao

Yes and No.

I did use the old index.php on my http://superiorfarming.org/ which had an old name of index.php~. and renamed it to index.php to be used as the home page and it is now working. However, now I can not backup the SMF SQLs to get out of here and to another hosting company. The SQLs looks ok on the editor but I can not get a newly created database to import the file once that db is assigned to a new copy of SMF 2.08

A couple of host companies just tell me to sign with them and then import using the SQL but they will probably have their support team disappear once I sign. That is why I try it on my place first. I'm installing a couple of new copies of SMF and see if I can do it on those databases. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I do not know how long the SMF is going to last and my hosting space continue to be a disaster.
My WP websites 1 does not work at all and 5 of them... work on the front but not on the administration page.

Easier to show.

southbridgegas.com/ Everything ok.
southbridgegas.com/wp-admin/ Error 500

Thanks for asking and for all your help

Illori

what hosts are you looking at? if they are hosts from our hosting board, their support will not just disappear after you have been moved over.

chamacao

Illori I do not know if the ones I have email with will disappear but I do know that after 12 year with the one I use I found out they are not worth a #$%.

I have contacted eHost and WEbHostingPad basically all they answer is:

"Once you have purchased a hosting account, you can upload your remote host files through cPanel>> File manager and you can restore your database through phpmyadmin"

That is probably good enough. Iam just afraid of taking my domain down until I'm sure is going to work somewhere else. Specially, since I can not get the SQL to import in a new SQL in my existing webspace.

Any suggestion... ? I'am all ears.
Thanks

chamacao

Thanks Illori.

OK. here I go again.
I have stopped file transfers until I know why the files in the server when downloaded are of a different size than those in the computer. Maybe there is an easy answer to this. You know, like Clark Kent and Superman.  I just don't see it.

Also I keep on getting error and unable to backup index.bak.

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Advertisement: