News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Desperately need your help

Started by lahmfan, October 22, 2016, 03:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lahmfan

Hey gents,
First and foremost , what a fantastic product do you guys have!! Thank you so much for working on delivering product!!

i have been using your forum for almost a month now and was able to get a different theme installed and mods with no issues. .. this AM, a new member had issue with the registration and the issue was that a mod that i removed recently is forcing the member to add a value to a field that wasnt showing to the user. I removed the mod but it didnt fix the problem (it actually broke the forum when i removed it) -- so what i did is i downloaded the smf 2.1 files on my desktop, extracted and copied them over to my website root .. it ran throw the installation (install.php) setup and detected that i already have a database .. once it detected the database it asked me create and "ADmin" account, but since i had an account, i closed the page without letting the installer complete  .. I tried to do the registration again and it was still broken and i searched this forum and found that i have to drop some rows in a table for that mod (which i have done ) and people are now able to register!

however i noticed that all my  mods that i had were gone, so now i tried to install them again but i keep getting an error message

Execute Modification   installer/Modification.xml   Modification parse error

here is the error message from the logs

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://mydomain.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=LikePosts2.0.5Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message2: copy(/usr/local/www/apache24/data/Packages/temp/Themes/default/css/LikePosts.css): failed to open stream: No such file or directoryApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /usr/local/www/apache24/data/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1738

what i am noticing is that for whatever reason, the Package Manager cant extract files (it used to do it before the incident so its not PHP package issue)
it seems like a permission issue, but i gave the Package folder 777 and i am already root on the box. (I own the server)

what could go be wrong? should i run the install.php and let it complete? i am scared if i do that i will break the forum again ..
please note that i have deleted all the backup in the Package/backup folder trying to get a fresh install (like the idiot that i am)

any ideas what i need to try next?

Sir Osis of Liver

First off, 2.1 is beta and not recommended for production forums.

If you run install.php on an existing database, it will remove all content, you'll end up with a clean but empty db.

Have you tried extracting the mod package locally and uploading the files via ftp?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Packages_-_How_to_upload_packages_using_FTP

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

lahmfan

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 22, 2016, 04:25:56 PM

If you run install.php on an existing database, it will remove all content, you'll end up with a clean but empty db.

Have you tried extracting the mod package locally and uploading the files via ftp?

crap, i posted in the wrong forum ..
i didnt use the beta. it was 2.0.12 ... (sorry)

I will try the extract and will let you know ..
thanks

lahmfan

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 22, 2016, 04:25:56 PM

i tried that and i am getting the same error.
i extracted the mod (that used to work before) on my desktop, then using sftp i uploaded it to the Packages folder, then i went to the Package manager and click on "Install Mode" then i get the warning /error message.

lahmfan

After the upload i also gave it the right permission (777) for now just to test

Illori

have you checked in the mods support topic? maybe there is an issue with the mod and the author needs to fix it.

lahmfan

Quote from: Illori on October 22, 2016, 06:35:36 PM
have you checked in the mods support topic? maybe there is an issue with the mod and the author needs to fix it.
The same exact mod worked on the forum yesterday.. I doubt something wrong with the mod. I also forgot to mention that its happening to multiple mods.

lahmfan

what username does the package manager uses to modify the Source files and extract files ? what is the chown should look like? right now my files are  now owned by root:wheel

Illori

the same user that apache/php is running under.

lahmfan

I give up ... :( i changed the files to be owned by the same user that apache/PHP users  and still getting the same error ...I am running out of ideas right now.

lahmfan

hm. ok i think i will be going to do right now is spin another virtual machine, install a new and clean installation of SQL, PHP, and SMF .. the backup the database, restore it on the new server and switch IPs.. would that work?

This is depressing ...

Sir Osis of Liver

Bear in mind that some server security configs will not allow 777.  755 usually works for dirs, 644 for files.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

lahmfan

i moved to another virtual server with a clean install and it worked . not sure if i should mark it as "resolved" because i dont think that was actually a solution

Advertisement: