News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forum won't send out emails

Started by gaswigg, October 24, 2016, 02:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaswigg

Hi im running SMF 2.0.12 and when I ok a new member and select to send email the forum never does. I am hosted on Go daddy and im running 4 forums and none of the email out any help

Thanks
Glen

aegersz

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

nend

If your using GoDaddy's SMTP to send mail, the server they give is wrong. Don't know why they haven't updated their documentation but...
relay-hosting.secureserver.net
...is the correct server.

Here is the correct information.
https://ca.godaddy.com/help/what-is-the-name-of-my-hosting-accounts-relay-server-953

gaswigg

im lost here this is what I have Linux with cpanel Use localhost unless: •You use PHP script and the mail() function. this is what I think im using but what am I to do or change to make it work. Im not at coding but I can do somethings below is part of the settings.php file the email address is mine do I have to change that to one from the domain like [email protected]

$language = 'english';      # The default language file set for the forum.
$boardurl = 'http://www.maireadcarlinforum.com';      # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)
$webmaster_email = '[email protected]';      # Email address to send emails from. (like [email protected].)

Thanks for the help
Glen

Woraphat

Automated mails not being received by users seems to be a problem for many forum owners.  There are plenty of threads about that in this forum.  It sure is a big problem for me.

New members often don't receive the welcome mail.  Lost password inquires often don't receive their lost password reminder mail.  I have no way of knowing but I suspect that thread notification mails and the like are also not being received.

My answer now for all new members is to send them a welcome mail from my forum G-mail account.  The automated forum program mail is still set up and should be going out but I send the G-mail anyway.  I have a huge list of folks who have signed up and never signed in and I think a large number of those are because they didn't receive the welcome mail.

What I cannot address well with G-mail is the lost password folks.  As an admin, I don't know where to find the info that tells me they have asked for a password reminder and what their contact info is.  If I am lucky, they have some wrong password attempts in the error logs and I can see their user name and therefore get their e-mail info from their profile.  But many folks don't even bother to try to enter their passwords because they cannot remember them.  They go straight to the reminder function.  I will be working on how to get that user info so I can send them a G-mail.

I believe this e-mail problem is causing me a lot of lost members and a lot of lost forum content.

Advertisement: