News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

enable notification for any new topic/theme

Started by hollermann, October 29, 2016, 12:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollermann

Hi!

We are a group of about 20 persons at age from 50 to 85y. Some are very unfamiliar with internet/browser etc. The amount of new themes is small - about 10 new postings per month. Some of them don't even use a browser, the just have email.

I would greatly appreciate having a single setting for every user, where he can enable to get a notification for every new topic, new theme or new posting/reply. At the moment there's just the possibility to enable notification for every single topic and every single theme. If you enable notification for one topic, you will get an email with a new theme, but you have to visit this theme and to enable notification for this new theme. Too much clicking for our members.

kr,
Bernd Hollermann
Germany.

Kindred

In short... no.   You can turn on notifications to be notified when a new thread is posted..
You can turn on notifications to be notified when a new response is posted in a specific thread...

However, those notifications are only sent ONCE until the user visits the board again...   the users does not actually get notified for EVERY new post...   because that would break 90% or more of the forum servers out there.

And there is no way to force it without significantly rewriting the system
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on November 02, 2016, 04:47:29 PM
In short... no.   You can turn on notifications to be notified when a new thread is posted..

that is why we have a notify button on the message index, to send out an email for new topics being made.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: