News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Check ID and IP before casting vote

Started by Biology Forums, October 30, 2016, 09:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Is it possible to make the poll function check to see if the IP of the member matches the IP of all the voter's last IP at login?

Kindred

Almost anything is possible, if you know how to code it...   but doing what you ask would require some work...   and probably is not worth it for 1.1.x, since that is at end of life
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Given that dynamic IPs are a thing, especially on mobile, and that 1.1 doesn't support IPv6 so any IPv6 users will all share the same 0.0.0.0 IP address, I'm not sure this is an entirely good idea.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Arantor on October 31, 2016, 05:23:55 AM
Given that dynamic IPs are a thing, especially on mobile, and that 1.1 doesn't support IPv6 so any IPv6 users will all share the same 0.0.0.0 IP address, I'm not sure this is an entirely good idea.

Me neither, I think it would be a disaster checking the IP of all voters for a particular vote option.

Problem is the other day I had someone sign up 25 different times just to skew a vote. Pissed me off

nend

What might be more practical in this case is getting the ips of the most recent registered users over X time span and compare it to the ip address of the account trying to be registered.

I don't think that there is a mod that does this at this time.

Kindred

even that won't work well, Nend....

see Arantor's comment's above.
I could be using a system in which my IP appears as different every single login... 
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

The best way to go about doing this is to add an extra column in smf_log_polls called IP and have the query record the IP for every vote recorded. Then, do a check for IPs when a second vote is cast (considering that the poll is programmed to accept one vote). It's 20 mins worth of work, but now I will know what to do if the problem arises again.

Advertisement: