News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

smf_api.php vs ssi.php, 1.1 RC1

Started by bmf-boss, October 30, 2005, 09:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmf-boss

OK folks, downloaded 1.1 RC1 and did some modification of it (changed variable names to eliminate conflicts) to get it to sit in my site, now I want to forge ahead with username, password sharing.  Will SSI.php suffice for all I need to do?  I saw some threads on smf_api.php and did download it but that appears to be for 1.05 only.  One of the differences I do note is that the api does not use the new password function (sha1) that is used in 1.1 RC1. 

What are the advantages of smf_api.php for integration over ssi.php?  If they will help immensely, I may move back to 1.05.  Otherwise, I will go ahead with 1.1 RC1 and use ssi.php.

Basically, this is what I do want to do: disable registration through SMF, pull all variables from cms I am using for registration across both systems (cms and SMF), and login/logout via cms.  In other words, I want it to work much like the forum software already included with the cms. 

One other question: since the cms uses md5 and SMF uses sha1, is it feasible that both can coexist?  In other words, can I allow the cms to do its normal operations with username/password then send/check password in SMF with the sha1 function?  The scenario would be this:

1) User registers with cms.  Info is sent to cms database with password going through usual md5.
2) Function calls will then send info into SMF database, password will be sent using sha1.
3) Upon logging in, username/password will be checked with cms database.  If pass, user logged in.
4) Username/password checked against SMF database and user logged into SMF as well.

That's it for now :)!

Thanks for any help.
Hey, why do you need my signature?!? Lemme talk to my lawyer 'bout this...

Tristan Perry

Yeah that scenario would work fine; as long as the passwords for the CMS and SMF are kept seperate it'll work.

smf_api.php is a more dedicated software intergrator - there's a 1.1 one around here somewhere although it's not fully complete. If you only want to do password checks, you could always copy the function used in SMF and use that to encrypt the password?
Tau Online

Advertisement: