Category and board modification

Started by DenDen60, November 05, 2016, 02:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenDen60

It would be great if we could clic on an icone to edit or delete a board like it is possible to do with EZPortal. (See attachment)

I looked at the MOD and there does not seem to be one.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DenDen60

There would have to be a fail safe of course. Like a question: "Are you sure?"

Arantor

You value your and your users' contributions that little that you want to make it that easy to accidentally remove?

Deletion of a board is a potentially dangerous action. As such it requires slight effort to do.

DenDen60

Quote from: Arantor on November 05, 2016, 02:39:34 PM

Deletion of a board is a potentially dangerous action. As such it requires slight effort to do.

if you accidentally delete a board, even after you have answered the fail safe question, you do have access to your backup. (If you have made one) This being said, I agree that it would be better if it was not that simple.

I would then replace the delete by move. So you would have direct access to move and edit options.

Antes

Personally speaking, i dislike how EZPortal does it... Mixing admin & user side into one, bad UX and bad for responsiveness. Those two should be separated even tho limited amount of people will see it.

DenDen60

Quote from: Antes on November 05, 2016, 05:34:52 PM
Personally speaking, i dislike how EZPortal does it... Mixing admin & user side into one, bad UX and bad for responsiveness. Those two should be separated even tho limited amount of people will see it.

It is not bad UX if it increases the productivity of those using it.

Kindred

only partially true, Denis.

I think we have had some disagreements on what a good UI/UX is before...

and no...   while maybe edit would be OK, I honestly, after considering it further, do not think it is a good choice for the standard UI.

Leaving the administration features in the admin section is the best experience, over all.
Heck, even in Content Management Systems, Like Joomla you can edit MODULES, and articles, from the front end but not the categories or display/layout features...

So, as I said, after consideration, I think that your request is misguided in its desire... might work for you, but, over all, for the general admin userbase, it would not be the correct choice.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

QuoteSo you would have direct access to move and edit options.

How often do you move or edit your boards once you've got established? Making common actions easily accessible, sure. Making actions prominent that most admins don't do more than once every couple of months once the forum is established is bad user experience.

And if you are rearranging the boards so frequently that this would actually be useful, how confused do your users get? Or more likely, you're using the wrong tool for the job, like I've been telling you for years.

DenDen60

Arantor, SMF is more powerful or useful than you know.
And the way I am using it now proves that the decision I made to select SMF from many of its competitors back then, was the right one.

Now I admit that the way I use it is different then most if not all users out here, but SMF does meet my needs.

Now going back to my request, what would be the best way to do it? 

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

DenDen60

But I will. So considering that this is what I want, what would be the best way to do it?

Kindred

Code the access to the edit function into a link and put it in the category and board headers.... 

However, "this is what I want" is not actually a valid argument
Слaва
Украинi

DenDen60

nend

I do the same. Main reason is if I see something I need to edit I can get to it right away.

Easiest way to implement this is just to put a link in the header to that portion of the admin panel.

Arantor

Quote from: Denis Pageau on November 05, 2016, 09:36:52 PM
Arantor, SMF is more powerful or useful than you know.
And the way I am using it now proves that the decision I made to select SMF from many of its competitors back then, was the right one.

Now I admit that the way I use it is different then most if not all users out here, but SMF does meet my needs.

Now going back to my request, what would be the best way to do it? 

SMF is more powerful than I know? Dude, I've been writing mods for SMF for years at this point, doing things literally no one else has done before or since. I know exactly what SMF can and can't do, since I'm the guy who built blogs, help desks and even an accounting ledger on top of SMF.

The fact that you have, for years, asked for things that no actual forum would use continues to make me believe you have a use that is not a forum but in your mind, you have somehow convinced yourself a forum will vaguely do the job and now you have such a sunk cost that building a system that will actually meet your needs rather than continuing to bastardise a forum to meet them is actually impossible.

DenDen60

DenDen60

No disrespect was intended Arantor,

It is just that when you interconnect the "Members databases" between the different instances, you increase its potential.

This is why I wrote that SMF is more powerful or useful than you know

More powerful because you increase its power each time you connect a new instance of SMF, more useful because it helps manage knowledge and this is what I do.

I manage knowledge and facilitate discussion to help citizens learn about what is going on in their city, their province/state or country. Hence I need a discussion forum tool, but I need to have one instance per city, province or country to facilitate knowledge management and of course increase citizen engagement through personalization. 

Because of the volume of knowledge I need to manage, the idea of being able to quickly modify a section is useful to me. This is why I want to implement this option.

Please see the enclosed document.

Hope with this you know have a better understanding of what I am doing.

Societally yours

Advertisement: